clemmy

Idea for crank lip masking...

Ok,

This is a brainstorm I just had. The only problem is I don't make any 2 baits the same (yet!), so please if you guys are into producing a bunch of the same baits PLEASE let me know if it works!

For masking lips on a crank that you build a lot of the same style: Before puting the lip in one, take a cheap hacksaw blade and bend it around the front of the bait at the level of the lip. Then, before painting/clearcoating you can used your hacksaw blade form as the cutter for your masking/painter's tape (kind of like a roll of scoth tape), thus getting a repeatable, quick, lip mask.

Clemmy

Scrap hacksaw blades adorn the dark corners of most workshops. They are very useful material source. I have fashioned marking knives and other such sharp implements from the discarded blades. The material is perfect for such applications. But I usually remove the teeth first, don't even have to think about it.

I think the idea has merit and would be worth testing out.

Off the top of my head:

If you are repainting a bait.

If you modify a bait, then need to repaint it.

If you don't like epoxy on your lip, or need to have a clean, professional looking edge.

If you needed to install a lip after sealing to test the bait prior to going through the effort of paint and clearcoat to make sure they run correctly, don't need weight adjustments, etc.

Basically you'd never NEED to mask it prior or install a lip prior, It just helps if you are particular about them....