lunker05

making molds

I bought some POP mold from Chris on ebay. I will try to explain this the best I can. I put one of the molds face up into a foil baking pan (the ones you buy 3 for about a $1.00). I took the plastic I pour with ( old stuff that I goofed up with) and added a lot of hardener. Got it up to temp. and poured it over the mold. Let it cool.... popped the mold out... one master. I am going to take pictures and post them.... I hope.

#1 mold in the pan

DSCN1265.jpg

#2 pour plastic with lots of hardener

DSCN1266.jpg

#3 the mold in the plastic after it cooled

DSCN1267.jpg

The master and new mold I made from it. No sanding or touch up on the new molds

DSCN1269.jpg

Sorry Chris! 8 mold just wasn't enough to pour through. LOL

But I do like it...great little worm

I use worm plastic for most of my masters...also have used canning wax for some...it will release from an rtv mold but not POP. If the existing mold us POP I'd use plastic. Canning wax can also be carved for use as a master in a POP mold. Another thing I've done before is use play doh id the mold is really simple...you can press it in the cavity and carefully remove it...but if the mold has a lot of detail probably not too good. I like the idea above about overpouring the whole thing...great idea and good looking mold.