cadman

Do-It SJU-3-MA Spinnerbait Mold

It is a crude solution, but it will work. Take masking tape and start laying down strips of it on each side of the mold with the ends of it hanging out where the hook will be. Once you build up the tape thick enough, it will hold the hook in place. I use masking tape because the adhesive seems to resist heat better than duct tape.

Ted,

I don't have this particular mold you are reffering to, but there are others of Do-It's molds that have the same problem. What I have done is I use a small piece of wood about a 1/4" thidk and glue it to the bottom of the mold where the hook hangs down. Place one one each half leaving enough gap when closed for the hook to be clamped in place. If need be, you could let the wood extend back far enough to catch more or the hook when clamped. Glad that you have already found a solution. You are correct about Do-It using the same blank casting for all their molds, and why not? Saves them a bundle.

I know this topic is old but I am getting this mold & wondering what size wire forms this mold can take I have seen from .040 to .045 but don't see a definitive answer

According to Do-It, use .040-.041 I use .040. The choice is yours on what you are building and for what species of fish. Bass you could go .040 musky and pike you can use probably use .050

I don't have that mold either but I have a football jig mold that is the same way, the hook comes out towards the handle end unsupported.  I modified the mold to take a cross-eyed hook so the hook would move around.  If I remember right, the point of the hook goes between the gap of the handles when closed. 

I put a nail with a broad head into each handle deep enough so the top of the nail head was flush with the mold.  When I loaded the hook, the point plus some of the shank would rest on the one side and when closed, the head of the nail on the other half would sandwich the hook point and keep the hook centered in the mold until it was poured.

This would only work if the hook point came up in between the handles.  If not, I'm sure you could attached a thin wood block to sandwich the hook in place.  Something to think about.