cavu

Best Material for Flyline Backing?

Hi Capt Mike, Good question! Hope someone answers you so we both can learn. I've seen some pictures of salt-water fly rods and they resemble a winch we use here in Mi to pull a pick-up out of the mud. :wink: Naaa I'm just kidding. :lol:

Fly fishing in salt water sounds like a ball. The only salt-water we have here in Mi. is in my water softener.

I'll be watching for someone to give you the right answer. Tight lines. George

It depends what type flyline you have bought or going to buy.If your going to use a shooting head (which is a very short section of fly line)you will want to use a heavy nylon backing which will actually be used in your cast.(this line follows your flyline out when it is cast)Amnesia is one brand of shooting head backing.20lb would be suffecient.

Now if you've bought a standard flyline..(Non-Shooting head)you'll only cast the flyline,and the backing will only come into play as a filler on your real,and if you have a fish run all your flyline out of your real.In this case use a Dacron backing.again 20lb. should be fine..Nathan

Anybody use a super braid line like Power Pro?

Yes, some people do use spectra as backing. However, dacron is usually the best option. If your finger comes into contact with spectra, and the fish makes a run, you risk the likelyhood of a very serious cut. If a loop wraps around your fingertip, even worse results can happen. 20 or 30lb spectra is so thin that it's tough to handle safely on a fly reel.

Good luck!

Dacron is pretty much the standard for backing. For up to 8 weights use 20#, 9 and up use 30#. You can use super braid, but up the rating to at least 50# and it won't cut as bad as the thinner stuff. BTW, dacron burns pretty good too if you grab it when a fish is running, but it's not as bad as the gel-spun stuff. One big advantage to the gel-spun lines is added backing capacity. Another is abrasion resistance. Gel-spun line will fuzz out a bit but still retains most of it's strength where a single cut strand on dacron cuts the breaking strength to less than half. Just something to think about if you fish around rocks or coral a lot.