crazychuy

Plastic Bait Molds............HELP

Thank you to everybody that has helped me up to this point and thank you for all of your patience. As some of you might have noticed from my other posts. I've very new to tackle making. My first time I made tackle I poured plastic worms on top of my mom's stove into a POP mold that I made with milk cartons. I want to make some better worms for myself than the old ones.

I've seen the aluminum molds as advertised on DEW's website, apologies if I got the name wrong, and noticed the prices. They are awesome work but I'm trying to look for some molds that will give me the same shiny appearance as the pro's worms on the shelf at a lesser cost.

Does anybody know where I can get some reasonbly priced molds for a beginner that will give my baits the shiny appearance?

What is the best material to use for making a custom drop shot bait that will give the bait a shiny appearance and where can I get it from?

Thank you for all of your help and appearance.

CHUY

Chuy your getting in deep brother.

Honestly aluminum is your best bet. They seem expensive, but they are a good investment. You can resell them, if you decide, for almost what you will pay for one. Several times I have seen them sell on ebay for more than new ones.

Dels molds are nice and you can also check out bobstackleshack.com. I think the prices are very comparable though.

Lurecraft sells RTV molds that are cheaper, but you won't get a shiny finish. Look at M-F's molds at pouryourownworms.com. They are resin and all of the ones I have are pretty darn shiny. They are some of my favorite worms. A POP mold coated in Devcon will give a pretty shiny finish.

The material your proto-type is made of will determine what to use for your master mold. I think most eveyone here uses POP or Durham's for masters.

A POP mold coated with Elmer's Glue All will give you all the shine you want and detail too. You can apply by painting with an artist brush or flooding the mold with glue thinned with water. A second coat may be needed to get the shine you want. Mix some glue and water, try 4/1 Glue/water in a soft drink bottle and pour on the mold till the cavities overflow a little...rub the top of the mold with your finger to seal that...swish the mix back and forth a couple times to make sure the cavities get covered and then turn the mold upside down and drain the glue off. I did a master yesterday and one coat gave me a pretty shiny bait....that didn't perform :) ps My opinion is that the shine is for fisherman...I prefer dull baits...look down at a minnow or bluegill in the water...they look dull to me. The only reason I coat a mold is to get it to release without having to use oil or spray of some kind. Hope this helps.