bassman843

modifying the football head jig mold

I have a Do-It Football Jig mould and modified it for a 60 degree or 90 degree hook (It may cause a little excess lead sprue at the empty hook cavity that you can trim off when it cools). I also increased the cavity diameter of the fiber weed guard to accept the 1/8" guard (Works better in heavier cover).

Like "MAGS" stated,...use a Drimel tool and just take your time !!

Good Luck !!

-Keith

The main jigs I make are 1/2 and 3/4. Anyone else find it odd that do-it released two new molds with those two sizes on seperate molds. And the 3/4, 1 and 1 1/2 ounce mold does not accept the flat eye only the 1/8 to 1/2 mold does.

Bladesandbaits helped me immensley to get the old football jig mold modded to accept the flat eye. We jb welded the old hookeye placement then blades cut out the eye holes. The key is to do a little at a time and check. You want to be sure you are able to close the mold snug and not see any cracks of light down through it.

Mine works great. If I get around to it, I'll photograph it and show you what the custom version looks like. We also modded the weedguard to put a 1/8-inch weedguard in there and use a modified base pin (with cap cut off) in its place.

Make small corrections and keep tweaking it.

Yeah you always know you're pulling on the jig at the right angle with a flat eye. For some reason it seems like a lot more of my bass are hooked in the roof of their mouth or in the upper lip with flat-eye, which I like.

I also like the flateye, because it's a bit stronger, better quality hook than the standard bronze hook.

And the flateye seems to be a bit less snaggy.