SwimbaitJoe

Lunker Plunker wood

Grant and Jeremy have some of the worst customer service in the swimbait business. I've been playing tag with them for months now in regards to the finish on my Shellcracker and Punker failing miserably did I mention there $60 baits?!?! There response was touch up where it's cracking with red nail polish it will look injured :yay: ya okay great way to stand behind your product. I'm in the process now of repainting both baits. I know many many people that have been having the same problem.

My assesment is that they(china) didn't sand the sealer coat and didn't prime because everything that has delaminated has pulled away from the sealer in one piece. The sealer is smooth as glass and has no sand marks also. As for the wood I believe it's an exotic hardwood with a tight grain that's very hard.

my advice is throw some Devcon 2 Ton on anything that's made/painted by them.

Deepsessions,

I'm surprised to hear that because of the conversation I had with Jeremy at the show. But that just shows everyone has a dog and pony show. It's the actual performance, in this case customer service or lack thereof, that tells the tale.

Good to hear from someone who had actually dealt with them.

Mark

it's sad that they became so popular so fast and chose to not address the paint issues. I have two other baits that are not from them that I believe were painted in the same factory in China. All of which are failing.

If the Tru-Tungsten and LC Premium swimbaits swim right I think they just might help level the playing field. Which will leave many companies playing catch up.

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" and I bet the problems they're having with quality arise from contracting out the build process to an offshore factory. Sort of hard to fix a problem in your chinese factory 5000 miles away. Seems like there's probably a coating incompataibility between the sealer and the color coat. But there should be plenty of lead in that paint! Just don't use it as a teething toy for your 2 yr old :)

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" and I bet the problems they're having with quality arise from contracting out the build process to an offshore factory. Sort of hard to fix a problem in your chinese factory 5000 miles away. Seems like there's probably a coating incompataibility between the sealer and the color coat. But there should be plenty of lead in that paint! Just don't use it as a teething toy for your 2 yr old :)

I hear ya Bob with the swimbait hype there's been alot of outsourcing and quality control issues. I don't mind the outsourcing if the price is relative,but if you want to charge a premium you'd better back your products.

on another note Bob have you tried hotcoating over any sealers while they're still wet for better adhesion? I primarily use water based paints and was curious about getting a tighter more adhesive bond laying down the first basecoat.

Brock. I know about the problems with my bait. The first batch of the punkers was not stellar by any means. Trust me I know it i dealt with it first hand. I never told you to use nail polish for your baits. Ive never even spoke with you ever about any issues. All I have seen is you verbally defaming and bashing my business on every message board on the web. If you politely brought this up with me I would definetly make it right. All I want is for my customers to be satisfied and happy with thier purchase. Any problems my other customers have had privately and politely contacted me and I made it right. Even the guys who obviously chucked the bait into a rock pile at mach 10 has been taken care of. I have even personally painted baits for customers because I was all out of brand new baits to give them. I am sorry you are so displeased with me and feel the need to smear my my name and reputation on the web. There is a bunch of things I could say but i really dont believe in smearing anybody publicly. I try to keep my life and baits as positive as i can. Before you bash try being polite and give me a chance to make it right. Mr. Poulson it was a pleasure speaking with you at the bassathon! Happy lure makin and tight lines to all!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Jeremy Anderson

Joe,

Getting back to your question, you can build a topwater lure out of a variety of woods but I prefer one that is quite light. If you choose something too heavy it becomes difficult to weight it properly and add clear coat without the lure sitting too low in the water column. I build my topwater which I call "Dr. Deth" out of either basswood or western red cedar. My bait is somewhat similar in shape to the LP. After telling you this though, there are some very good topwater lures that use no weight at all and are made from hard woods with very little clear coat. Beware though that not all lure shapes will walk properly without adding weight. Round lures like spooks, jackpot, weagle, etc., will generally walk without additional weight while shapes like my bait won't walk at all without proper weighting. You just have to experiment for yourself and see what happens.

Hope I didn't confuse you. Topwater lures although very cool can be a bit tricky so be patient.

Good luck.

Jed V.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Riverman is correct you want a lighter wood like he suggested. This gives you plenty of options for the balancing and and paint parameters. My first LP's were from balsa but a bait that size of wood that soft wont last forever especially when there are stripers in the mix! Hope this helps and good luck with your bait! :yay:

Jeremy

I never told you to use nail polish for your baits. Ive never even spoke with you ever about any issues. All I have seen is you verbally defaming and bashing my business on every message board on the web. If you politely brought this up with me I would definetly make it right. All I want is for my customers to be satisfied and happy with thier purchase. Any problems my other customers have had privately and politely contacted me and I made it right. Even the guys who obviously chucked the bait into a rock pile at mach 10 has been taken care of. I have even personally painted baits for customers because I was all out of brand new baits to give them. I am sorry you are so displeased with me and feel the need to smear my my name and reputation on the web. There is a bunch of things I could say but i really dont believe in smearing anybody publicly. I try to keep my life and baits as positive as i can. Before you bash try being polite and give me a chance to make it right. Mr. Poulson it was a pleasure speaking with you at the bassathon! Happy lure makin and tight lines to all!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Jeremy Anderson

you'd better talk to your business partner. I've tried emailing and pm'ing you on WB many many times since I bought one and sometimes get a response from Grant with him saying don't worry I'll forward it to Jeremy. Btw he was the one that suggested I use red nail polish.

I know your a busy man but I don't know one guy that got a refund/exchange with the punker and I could name all the guys I know that have baits with paint issues but I will save you the agony. It's a shame that I am just now finally getting correspondance seeings how I just shot my bait today after giving it a foil/photo finish. As for the 'cracker well I dobbed some more 2ton on it and am gonna repaint it down the road.

I was gonna pm you a response but you chose to make it public by not pm'ing me here.

most sincere,

Brock

Whatever dude. Its been public way beyond this and there is much more to this story but im just not gonna address it here and bring this awesome site down and ruin the thread. Have fun painting and creating. If your friends that you say have a problem tell them to call me (925)292-9375 It will be taken care of. Believe me - I want every customer to be happy including you as well. Take care and tight lines!

I don't personally have experience with LP, but a friend of mine does. I have to say that from what my friend has told me, Jeremy took care of him. I don't remember exactly what was done about the problem, but I think the bait was replaced. I'll find out. From what he said, he had the same paint peeling issues but was happy witht he way it turned out. Regardless ofthe problem, Jeremy, it's a great b ait. He's caught a lot of 5lb+NJ largemouth on it and a couple over 6. In NJ, that's a big fish.

After I talk to john, I'll post more info on what the problem was and how it was handled.

Whatever dude. Its been public way beyond this and there is much more to this story but im just not gonna address it here and bring this awesome site down and ruin the thread. Have fun painting and creating. If your friends that you say have a problem tell them to call me (925)292-9375 It will be taken care of. Believe me - I want every customer to be happy including you as well. Take care and tight lines!

it sounds like your a standup guy I appreciate that.... however I'm sure you can sympathize with both of my baits failing and not being able to get ahold of you directly. I will keep your phone number for future reference.

being an experienced bait builder maybe you can shed some light on paint delamination so we don't have to go through the same trials and tribulations I know I'd appreciate it.