bcripps

Backing up PowerPro

Well, its kind of convoluted, but you could spool the 75 yards on first, then tie the mono and fill the reel, then reverse. Seems like that method would be much better if you had an identical reel to do it with. I am sure there is a better method, but thats what I came up with off the top of my head.

I like to fish Power Pro on almost all of my reels and struggled with this problem for quite a while. The best solution I've found is as follows:

You'll need; a hand held drill (elec or battery)

two (preferably large) empty line spools

two large (1/4-3/8 dia) machine screws approx 6"-7" long

two washers and two bolts for each screw

Procedure is as follows:

Take one of the machine screws and screw one of the nuts approx half way down the screw and then slide a washer up against it. Slide one of the spools onto the screw to the washer, next the other washer and then screw the other bolt up to the 2nd washer.

You should now have a large empty spool secured approx halfway down a large machine screw with a nut and washer on each side of the spool.

Assemble the other spool the same way then Proceed as follows.

a) Take your empty reel and attach one end of the Power Pro to the spool of the reel with a piece of duct tape.

B) Reel on the length of Power Pro you want to use.

c) Attach the P.P. securely to the backing line you intend to use (preferably with a uni to uni knot).

d) Fill the remainder of the reel with the backing. Your reel will now be filled with the P.P. on the inside.

e) Attach the loose end of the backing that's on the reel to one of the large spools (I use a small piece of duct tape for this also), put one end of the machine screw in the power drill, guide the line with one hand while you use the power drill to wind all the line from the reel to the lg spool.

f) Replace the lg spool with the line on it that's in the drill with the other lg spool. Attach the loose end of the P.P. to the spool in the drill and wind it from one large spool to the other (I usually hold the bolt of the spool not in the drill between my feet and the rim against the floor to control tension). The P.P. will now be on the inside of the 2nd spool.

g) Securely attach the loose end of the backing to your reel spool and wind all the line onto the reel.

You now have your reel filled with the correct amt of backing and the Power Pro on the outside of the backing.

Brad

p.s. I would use the pound test that would give you adequate amt of backing for the fish you are targeting and water depth. If the spool is very large you could use heavy mono to fill it up but I would not use a pound test that is less than the strength of the braid you are using.

Fishapocolypse

No disrespect intended but I disagree. The backing (whether mono or not) is NOT just to give the braid something to bite on.

Many of my reels are filled with braid and no backing at all. The problem many people had/have with just using braid is that the braid would spin on the spool, hence the they would use use mono to give the braid "something to bite on".

I simply use one layer of duct tape on the spool (either over or under the arbour knot and the problem is solved without the need for mono etc.

Fly fishermen have been using backing behind their fly lines since long before braid was even invented and it was NOT to give the fly line something to "bite on" (a fly line doesn't need it).

Some people use BRAID backing with a MONO "top shot" which is just the opposite.

Many fly fishermen (including myself) use braid as backing for a fly line.

A major purpose for "backing" is to give adequate line capacity for the fish you are targeting. For example if you are fishing in Hawaii where the water gets very deep very close to shore and you're bottom fishing in, say 300 feet of water (which is very common) you've already got 100 yards of line out, so if you hook a powerful fish you could get down to the backing very quickly.

If your backing is not in good condition, is not at least the same pound test as the "top shot" (in this case braid), connected to the braid with a strong knot and long enough to allow for the line taken by the fish, you're in trouble.

Even here on the mainland it's not unheard of for a large fish to take 100 yds or more of line off a reel. If you don't have enough line on your reel (in this case braid and backing) you're going to lose that fish as well as all your line.

Just last season here in R.I. a woman was fishing for fluke (with typical fluke gear) and hooked a 50 lb amberjack! It took her over an hour to land it, but if she hadn't had enough line on her reel it would have been impossible.

A shark or a pelagic fish can peel off a lot of line in a hurry and if I hook into one I'm not going to cut away my expensive braid unless someone's life is in danger. It's not good for the environment or the shark to be trailing all that line around either.

Brad

P.S. If the backing is not at least the same pound test as the braid you're using you'll have a "weak link" between the braid and the reel

Better yet, fill the reel with braid. Much better line capacity, and you can use a smaller and lighter reel for the same line capacity.

Doing this, I've gone from 4000 size spinners to 2500 size spinners. Popped a 50 and 42 this year, no problem. Not to mention a 40" redfish that suprised me, way up in MD waters of the Bay. Strong, those reds.

-TH

It's weird, i have never backed up my braid with anything more than a piece of electrical tape. I have never had it roll back on me. P.S., a good way to prevent bail twist or "rat's nest" is to put one your furthest casting lure, toss it out as far as you can, strip out another ten or so feet and put down a piece of electrical tape to prevent the twists and loops from going deeper into the line.

I have never backed my braid either...

I just tie my knot and cut a little piece of the tape that holds the line on the spool and tape it in place. Then load the spool.

Then again, I'm not fishing BIG water either. The biggest water I will fish is a 7000 acre reservoir.

I think they use a mono backing because the braided is smaller then mono so you won't fill your reel all the way. Then as we all know no more 150 yard cast because the spool is only half full or less. When most people buy line they only get the filler spools because its cheaper. So in reality it would be cheaper to buy the cheapest mono to fill up some of the reel and be able to get a higher quailty braided line. A 150 yard of Stren Microfues is $16.99 for a 150yards to $32.99 for the 300 yarder. So I think some people may have made a story up because they didn't whant to spend the cash and look cheap. I did buy the stern microfuse 300 yard 30#.Filled four of my Diawa baitcasters it was only supposed to be big as 12# line. They only hold 150 yards per reel. Go figure that one out!

1/3 reel mono backing.

tie mono to braid with favorite line connecting knot. Make sure knot connecting line is at the bottom of spool and push in with fingers to you wont knick any line comming off the spool.

2/3 braid.

You don't want to loose the fish of a lifetime because you only have 75 yards of braid on the spool (or less after retieing 82 times).