nickcalderone

Ruined Mold! *warning*

Joe

That's a bummer.

When I sealed mine I only sealed the concave surface (where the plastic would come in contact including the sprue hole) so when I store the mold there's no glue to glue contact and so far it's worked well.

As for the mold you already made, I would let the glue dry again and then try covering the problem areas with another sealer like Johnson's paste wax.

Good luck and keep us informed so we can learn from your experiences as well. Thanks.

Brad

joe,

i have also had the same problem with some of the molds and i think its from not being fully cured. i have had to let some molds set for up to 4 or 5 days before i could use them, even though the glue seems dry and cured it might not be. im thinking its from the humidity or not letting the plaster sweat out all the moisture before you apply the glue. give the mold a few days and it should be ok.

brett

That was going to be my guess also. I bake my molds in the oven to remove the moisture. Thin molds (1" or so) at least an hour at 350....thicker about 2 hours. When they are dry you can tell...they are snowy white and dragging your fingernail over it makes a squeaking sound. I don't think the glue is doing any kind of reaction. Good luck.

I did cook the molds for an hour at 350° I poured them Friday, the cavities were fine but even from banding them together to just get the pour and let the plastic cool, the glue that was pressed together got stuck and peeled off and I think that was 3 days after painting them, there sitting apart now and I probably won;'t be pouring them for a little while so we'll see if they cure, hopefully I didn;t ruin them I guess I coulds coat them with epoxy and seal it all up.

Not sure what could have happened, but those things are possible, but I'll just make sure in the future to avoid coating the pieces that will be touching and that will solve all the problems. Other than that they poured great and the baits came out nice and shiny.

Joe, referring back to post No23. You should allow 24 hrs between coats. It may feel dry, but as you found out.... When you applied the second coat, you prevented the first coat from fully curing.

On a similar note, it is possible to make an effective wood filler with elmers, by mixing with fine sawdust into a paste. But, if you apply it with any more than a light skim, it will take days to harden. Once hardened, it is stronger than the wood.

Elmers requires a lot of patience as does the whole process. I have ruined so many moulds by rushing the process, but I'm learning more with each mould.