tubinator

How does he do it?

I am curious as to how pour/dip multicolored baits. How do you keep all the different colors heated to pourable temperatures, say for a 3-4 color bait? I have a microwave and a 2 burner hot plate. Do you heat 1 color at a time in the mic. and then keep them warm on the hot plate? Or do you just heat up a bunch of clear and then mix up the colors as you need them. I'm just trying to find a easy way to do this without sitting around all day waiting for the plastic to heat up. And the mic of course heats larger volumes of plastic slower.WHAT DO YOU DO?

Now keep in mind that I don't pour the same kind of plastics/baits that you guys are talking about but I do make a crappie jig that uses plastic in the process. Have you guys ever thought about using a syringe for each of the colors of plastic that you wish to pour? If you keep the plastic hot on a hotplate and the syringe sets in the pan with the plastic and pulls duel duty as a stirrer. When you get ready to pour you draw the plastic into the syringe and shoot it out...then to the next color and syringe and so on. I have made multi colored jig bodies in this way. It maybe to tedious of a process for you guys to fool with or it may not be enough volume for your needs but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents anyways....It works for me....:yeah:

2 Mics and pyrex cups... I have 6 cups going many times!!! Just make sure you have the mold capacity to handle what you are cooking as it will eventually burn a little and the colors will fade. Be sure to add a little heat stabilizer unless you are using M-F. Then it is in the mix already.

Jim

Definetely Pyrex and Microwave. For small volume or test batches this is the most economical way to go. The worst you can do is scorch a cup, but with practice you'll learn the limitations of the plastisol you are using. Hey Jim, I've got my first batch of MF coming my way next week....I'm converting to the "Church of MF" lol...I hope its all everyone says it is :)

Jim - MF has heat stabilizer in it? They didn't mention that when I bought a quart with my five gallon supersoft. lol

Seriously, it does say they put the correct amount of heat stabilizer in all their products on the stabilizer description page. I only add the heat stabilizer when I know I will reheat several times.

I'm sure pyrex or anchor will work under heat lamps since they are made to go in the oven but I've not tried it. My table is made for my pouring pans and a pyrex measuring cup won't go in. If you used smaller measuring cups you could probably keep two warm with one pair of lamps so you could do four colors with only two pairs of lamps. Check the specs on the pyrex site...I'll bet they're made to withstand at least 450 degrees F.

Hey Jim, I've got my first batch of MF coming my way next week....I'm converting to the "Church of MF" lol...I hope its all everyone says it is :)

You will NOT be disappointed!! My 55 gallon drum will be on the way soon!!!

PS You can also use your pyrex on a coffee cup warmer plate. Granted it is not real hot but does help maintain the heat well and prevents the plastic in the bottom of the cup from cooling off to fast. Plus, they are not to pricey!!!

Got mine for .50 at a garage sale!!!!

Jim