cadman

Solution #1 to lead in hinge area of mold

How many of you guys who pour, have poured the last cavity next to the mold hinge, and had lead overflow into the hinge area. So, my next question to everyone is, what do you do to get the lead out of the hinge area. Well I finally found a solution that works for me 100% all the time, no questions asked. I use cloth glass tape for some of my painting processes. So I took this tape, cut a small piece, and stuck it on the mold half that opens, just in front of the last cavity, and over the hinge and pivot. Every time I pour now, if the lead overflows, it goes on top of the tape and falls off. Then when I open the two mold halves to take out my newly poured jigs, the tape still sticks to the original half I put it on. Take the jigs out, close the mold and you

Spoke to some people at work, and we use it here. I was told that all parts have to be cleaned or degreased, before paint is applied. Is that true? If it is, than it's another step in my process. May not be worth it then, my tape idea seems to be a cheap fix. Thanx for the info guys. Maybe some other members will have other solutions.

I just melt it off with a propane torch or set the mold on top of the pot. But the tape stops the problem from ever happening. So I think you have a very cost effective and faster solution to the problem.

Kelly, it has worked for me over and over. Plus it's easy to work with. I was just looking for some new ideas. Thanks for all the input guys.