T-Bone

Drying Wheels

Hi--- I know this is an oldie, but I'm not having much luck searching the TU archives. I am looking to construct a new drying wheel and am looking for some new ideas, pics. I currently have a vertical turn with a capacity of 20 lures. i am considering going w/ a horizontal turn, bench top style. Ideas, pics, pros and cons of differant styles are appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input.

I make Muskie baits up to 6oz and 8" long. Right now I am making 3 differant style topwaters and I am starting to putz with cranks and gliders. My current setup is powered with a rotesserie motor but I recieved a couple of HD motors from a friend and they should work better and last longer.

Karem

How does your drying wheel work at one RPM? I have been working with a wheel powered by a three RPM microwave motor. It only holds one large muskie sized lure at a time. It works OK with envirotex. I am starting to build a larger wheel with a rotisserie motor I picked up on close-out. It is one RPM. Everything I have read recommends around six RPMs. I have been debating weather or not to gear the new wheel up to six RPM. Do you mind sharing what epoxy system you are using?

Thanks

Bruce

You have to bare in mind that I'm total (well, almost) newbe to this aspect of building baits. Woodworking itself is a different story (it is my second hobby to fishing ). With this particular wheel (I used only envirotex) I found the distribution of the coat acceptable ( again due to lack of experience I have nothing to compare it with ).The only thing is that I try to make my coat as thin as possible and then repeat it and repeat and repeat and.......:) I'm thinking about modyfying this wheel. Faster motor (from microwave turntable - 6rpm) and speed adjustment from 0-6 rpm (light dimmer switch ). Need to experiment little bit with this.

I started out with what looks to be the same motor as Keram and it worked well for the first year and then burned up. I do tend to load my wheel up with lures so I'm sure that was a factor. At 1 rpm I also just put light coats of e-tex and that worked well. Keram I like your wheel also, it's kind of what I had in mind but on a little larger scale. How are you securing the lures between the plates?

How are you securing the lures between the plates?

I've installed open hooks on the plates (inside surface). Line eye goes straight on the hook, back is connected to the hook with "havy duty" rubber band. Then I spread the plates little bit more, so there is enough tention to keep bait in almost horizontal position.

Most dimmer switches aren't for motor-type loads, so you may be burning up the motor because it's not getting the right juice. Also, not all motors are meant to be slowed down, so they overheat and melt their windings.

You are right. Probably I was not clear enough. "microwave motor and dimmer switch", just came first to my mind when I was thinking about it. There lots of other options like DC motor with regulated power supply or maybe electric drill with speed adjustment and V belt. This is why I've said that I have to

Need to experiment little bit with this.

Definitely the firs priority is the safety

I have been reading the old posts to this question and wanted to know if anyone uses or has used a Epoxy fly dryer for hard baits to dry the epoxy I seen a few different types and the one by Orvis looks good it says that it dries quickly, neatly, and conveniently. It says that it is a 7 RPM Motor Torque and takes 2D size batteries. The size is 3" diameter by 6" high. I would only currently be working on a few baits at any one given time. Do you think that this may work for baits that are 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 inches long? Thanks.....

I think epoxies are very forgiving when it comes to rotation speed. I know 1 rpm works fine for Devcon and Envirotex-Lite, and that most epoxies are going to fall somewhere between the cure rates of these two. I also know that faster rotaional speeds, at least up to 4 rpm work just as well because its effectiveness has been posted too many times over the years here in Hard Baits.

Dean