muskywolf

Jelutong Wood

Is There Anyone Out There That Has Used Jelutong Wood To Make There Lures .i Here It Floats Like Balsa But Is Strong Like Cedar. If This True Does Anyone Know Where I Can Find Sample Blanks .i Make Most All My Lures Out Basswood And Some Balsa .also Whats The Best Way To Upload My Pictures On Tu Iuse Kodak Easy Share Also Have Them Rw-cd S

Can't help you with where to get Jelutong in US but I almost use Jelutong exclusively to make my lures.

The density of Jelutong is much higher than Balsa. A comparison be the lightest Jelutong will be about the weight of hard grade balsa.

Jelutong is easy to carve and finishes to a very fine smooth surface. However it has low decay resistance so jelutong lures must be properly sealed to prevent any water seepage.

Alternative for native wood in US that is almost equivalent to jelutong be basswood. Basswood is a bit more stringy to carve and can have raised fibres when sanded. Jelutong is crisp to carve and leave a clean knife cut.

Hope this helps.

For comparison purposes, here are some wood densities from a standard materials table, in lbs per cubic foot. Moisture content and the particular hunk of wood you get can vary significantly within the same species. Based on this data, Jelutong is almost 3x as dense as balsa.

Balsa 11.2

Paulownia 16.0

White Cedar 22.0

Basswood 23.0

Poplar 26.2

Jelutong 28.1

Check you local Business to Business phone book for suppliers of foundry supplies. Jelutong is used by pattern makers for foundry work. Thats where I get mine in the Milwaukee area. It's called Freeman Supply. Unfortunately you have to buy a lot. A 12"wide x 10' long piece. They carry 5/4, 6/4, and 8/4. Probably $65 to $75 worth. But, for lure making at the hobby level it may last you 10 years!