shoalie

Trapping in the Grass - Paint comes off!!! Why??

I fish a lot of grass lakes where we rip a lipless crankbait through the grass. The paint and epoxy (Devcon 2T) comes off within a few hours. My crankbaits do not do this, probably because of the bill.

What am I doing wrong or what do I need to add to a Rat-L-Trap type lure so the paint and epoxy will last longer???? Any help will be appreciated!!!

Shoalie

Make sure the surface is REALLY CLEAN before applying with primer then paint. Allow the paint to dry in a warm room for 24-48 hours. Some will probably tell you this is excessive but in my opinion it's the only way you can be sure the paint has fully cured. Now apply the devcon and you should be fine. Actually if you are repainting rattle traps I wouldn't use Devcon, it's too thick. Just use spray on lacquer by Rustoleum...3 coats.

RM

I've had this problem also...I prime my lures with Createx white, let dry then the rest of the paint and coat with D2T. It started chipping on the nose and working back, the D2T and the finishing paint would come off but never the primer. What i found was D2T doesnt coat square edges very well so if you round the edges slightly it will cover better. Mine were custom builds using Poplur wood.

What i found was D2T doesnt coat square edges very well so if you round the edges slightly it will cover better.

There is your answer right there, the self-leveling properties of the glue are it's biggest disadvantage. Try using a different type of clearcoat, I personally use Dick Nite Lurecoat. If you click on one of his banner ads, it'll take you to a page where you can get a trial jar of it for free, just pay the shipping. I really don't know of any other style of clear, any epoxy will have the same properties.

There are many, many threads on Lurecoat you can read up on while waiting :)