Heracles

Devcon 2 ton

Hi guys!

I've been making hardbaits for about 2 months now and i'm using Envirotex Lite to coat my baits. I really like the finish it gives and I like the fact that it's liquid enough not to leave brush strokes when it dry. The only down side is that it's very long to dry. Depending on the humidity level, it can take up to 7 or 8 hours to dry :(

I know by reading all your posts that Devcon 2 ton is a one of the favorite product to coat baits. Since I can't find that product in store in my region, I'm thinking of ordering on the net but before i'de like to have a bit of information. Does it dry faster than Envirotex? Is it liquid enough not to leave brush stroke. Should I thin it with a bit of acetone? Does it stay clear as oppose to other epoxies that turns yellow?

Thanks!

PS English isn't my mother tongue so sorry about all those mistake...

Heracles,

Yes I agree Envirotex Lite is a very user friendly product. As far as your questions about Devcon.

Does it harden faster than E/L : Yes it dries much faster than E/L and much harder making it better for toothy critters. As much as I've seen it does'nt yellow .....at least in the times I've used it.

Yes...you can thin it some with acetone but I would'nt advise thinning too much ( a few drops should suffice) and brushing it on is fairly easy to do but be careful.... it will set quite a bit faster than E/L. After brushing it on it is best to turn the lure either by hand or turning or drying wheel to assure an even coating on the bait. Just hanging could allow brush strokes to still show. After brushing it on you could also heat it by passing a propane torch over it a few times to help it flow and dissapate whatever bubbles may be in it.

Just make sure you get the 2 Ton and not the 5 minute epoxy

There is another product advertised on the home page for Dicknites Lurecoat. This is a 1 part very thin but very strong clear coat. How well it will work on musky teeth I dont know but I'm sure someone here could shed some light on that. It does work well on Bass baits and it will stay clear for ( as far asI know) ....forever

Good luck with the Devcon

HD

devcon 2ton takes about 10 hrs to fully cure and it does yellow when exposed to heat (high summer temps in you car or boat), no need to thin but it starts curing in about 7 min after mixing. I can usually coat 2 baits per mixed batch. I cannot comment on any other clears as this is the only one I use.

Mark,

I don't have any #'s for you but this might help with your Dick Nite questions.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9107&highlight=dick+nite

I applied it with my airbrush and thinned with a drop or two of acetone (in the color cup of my airbrush) and it worked great and went on very thin and tough over lacquer paints.

Dick Nite Fishermun's Lure Coat is a very thin tough clearcoat. I usually dip baits twice, 24 hrs apart. Dries to touch in a few hours but takes several days curing to make it really hard and tough. It has more gloss and is slicker feeling than epoxy. BTW, epoxy actually takes about a week to reach maximum hardness and final cure.

Second wind. I always clean my lids with a suitable solvent and apply a smear of petroleum jelly to the joint surfaces. This ensures an air tight seal and the lids flip off very easily.

Care must be taken not to tip the tin in the future or the clean process will have to be repeated. Also do not wipe excess off the brush into the can, for the same reason. With dick nites, allowing the drips back into the tin will reduce its life anyway.

Over the top? May be, but it works for me.

Like Benton, I brush 2 baits before D2T is too thick to use. You don't need to dilute it and yes, it levels out extremely well. Rotate the bait for about 60 mins after application. It's probably the thickest clearcoat available, which is good/bad depending on what you need. If you are working in temps below 70 deg, you can put 3-4 drops of a solvent in it after mixing to thin it a bit, but that also extends cure time by about an hour. It's typically hard enough to touch after 5 hrs and 90% cured in 24 hrs. The only problem I've ever had was when I didn't measure accurately or mix it well. I haven't noted any significant yellowing on baits coated 3 yrs ago, but mine don't spend much time in UV light.