pastorshane

reapers

If you want to emulate a small fish, mount the lure on the hook so the tail is upright on edge, vertically. If you want to emulate leeches, mount it flat horizontally on the hook. I've done a little fishing with them. Several approaches, one is horizontally and weightless.....you get a nice wafting glide, another way is to use a lightweight stand-up jighead and moving slowly across the bottom will emulate a feeding minnow or fingerling. I need to learn more....

As you guys may know Reapers or Sweepers started in the west as with quite a few baits then migrated east. When they first came out myself and a couple of freinds were the first to get them in our area and we absolutely slayed 'em on them. You don't see many guys fishing them in our area much any more but........ on of the top guys in Cal. came to visit us back in the late 70's and went to the river for a day to show us the "correct" way to fish them. Well.....mind you we had already found the "best" way to fish them which was T-rigged w/ a screw in weight making sure to run the hook thru the contoured side of the bait exiting and skin hooking the flat side. After a short while on the water and a couple of nice keepers in the boat from my partner and myself and on the verge of gloating on showing this Sissy pro something we were asked to pull up on an interesting flat ( we had never fished it but ) John pulled out a spinning rod with a split shotted sweeper on a # 1/0 hook and proceeded to give us a lesson. He put 4 good fish in the boat incl. a 3.5 lbr.

I guess the lesson we learned was try anything.... you can't say theres only one way to do things..........even though I still split shot those dang things till today...along with Jgi heads, and C/Rigging and T/rigging.

The one thing I will say about splitshotting....them suckers dont want to let them go after they grab 'em