clemmy

Treble hook comparison??

Ok,

I'd like to know which trebles are longer/wider/heavier than others to help to decide which are better for a given bait design.

I just don't want to re-invent the wheel if one of you have already looked into this and/or come accross this info on the web somewhere.

IMHO length and weight are the 2 most important factors, although width does play a role. I know you can argue gap/finish/sharpness, but that's a seperate issue. Anyways, I was thinking of looking at only "higher-end" hooks. I figure get all in one size, like a 4, to compare each. I'm thinking several models of triple grip, owner, gammy, vmc and matzuo. Any other sugguestion/reccomendation/ideas?????

Thanks!

Clemmy

IMHO Gamakatsu and VMC vanadium are the best I have found. You can get the VMC in bulk under the Rapala name from Cabelas. I don't have enough experience with the owners, but have heard good things about them. I prefer a round bend treble to a wide gap. If a fish just swipes at a bait a round bend is more apt to hook it. Your mileage may vary. Tight lines.

I strongly prefer round bend trebles and there are lots to choose from but I like Gamakatsu #471's or VMC #7451's. The VMC has a slightly wider gap than the Gamy. Otherwise, they have very similar shape, weight and length. The Gamy's are sharper, the sharpest I've found anywhere. Look also at the VMC Short Shank trebles, which allow you to put stronger #4's on baits that would otherwise require #6's. The VMC trebles sold by Cabelas are a distinct "Rapala" treble and are also nice, with strong wire. Cabelas also has VMC "In Line" trebles with the eye situated so the tines lay equally on both sides of a crankbait's belly, lessening "hook rash" on the side of the bait and equalizing the weight on both sides. Great idea! They also carry a short shank Rapala version. I build to a design weight which includes the trebles and split rings, so hook weight per se isn't an issue. IMO, sharpness and durability are the most important attributes by a long shot and Gamy round bends are the best. Guess what's hanging on all my personal-use crankbaits? :) JMHO, choose the best trebles and design your bait to carry them, not the other way around.

As I had said, I'm more interested in weight/length from a action/design standpoint...

If you're interested in that then just design your lures according to the length/weight/gap characteristic of the treble of ur choice.

Other members have chipped in their favourites. Mine is Owner Stingers ST-41. Pick yours.