dwendt1978

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Just a friendly warning: do not leave reel parts in an ultrasonic cleaner for more than 15 minutes. If your ultrasonic cleaner has a timer function, use it.

Ultrasonic cleaners may cause severe etching or pitting damage to certain reel parts. The ultrasonic cavitation of the machine dramatically increases the aggressiveness of the cleaning fluid, and alkaline cleaning solutions and soaps should never be used. As well, some of the common alloys used in fishing reels are not suitable for ultrasonic cleaning, and will inevitably be damaged by prolonged ultrasonic cleaning.

This isn't theory, I've seen it myself, and you don't want to see it yourself. ;)

Hope this helps, good luck!

I agree, don't leave it in an ultrasonic sonicator overnight. Well I guess it depends in the quality. I have looked at some lower priced models that aren't all that great at cleaning. I use around 5 different ones at work and they are great. The heated models are nice.

You guys are scaring the crap out of me now. Are these things that good at cleaning? I only use simple green to clean my reels. Lighter fluid for bearings. So these things can damage reel parts? Maybe I'll stick to the ole' scrub brush like I have been using. Only thing is I can't see Simple Green solution damaging a reel even on an ultrasonic level.

I have used one for cleaning my reels as well as customers reels for years now and also use Simple Green and I have had NO PROBLEMS at all, BUT I only leave parts in less than a minute, DO NOT LEAVE PARTS IN OVER NIGHT ! ! ! ! ! ! or you will be buying new............ you will find you get a deeper clean than any other way.

lilcraw,

Could you tell me what you do? Like how long for a reel frame? I'm thinking of getting little glass viles with tops on them and fill them with lighter fluid and put the bearing in them. Heard the ultrasonics have no problem cleaning through glass. And reel frame and rest into tank with simple green. You say a minute gets this stuff as clean as me scrubing for 10 minutes with a brush!?!?!?

...So these things can damage reel parts? Maybe I'll stick to the ole' scrub brush like I have been using. Only thing is I can't see Simple Green solution damaging a reel even on an ultrasonic level.

Yes, absolutely. Even SG in an ultrasonic cleaner can damage reel parts if you let it run overnight. Just put the parts to be cleaned in for no more than 15 minutes, and you'll be OK. Don't put parts in the running cleaner, and then wander out of the shop and forget about it. Reel frames and sideplates made from lightweight alloys are perhaps the most susceptible to ultrasonic pitting damage, so be forewarned. A short cleaning is OK, but not an overnighter.

...I'm thinking of getting little glass viles with tops on them and fill them with lighter fluid and put the bearing in them. Heard the ultrasonics have no problem cleaning through glass. And reel frame and rest into tank with simple green...

Head's up: Don't put glass vials + reel frames and parts in your ultrasonic cleaner, or you'll soon be cleaning broken glass out of your ultrasonic cleaner. The best option for cleaning bearing sets is to use either plastic 35mm film cannisters (with the snap-on cap), or use prescription med pill bottles (with the screw lid). Chuck them all in the tank, but just don't let 'em run overnight. :)

Good luck!