fisheye56

Air brush for Christmas

Ok guys if I was to ask Santa for a air brush {never used one} what would I ask for? PS keep in mind room for If I get good with one need a model that will handle all my needs if I choose to be as elaborate as ya'll in painting my crankbaits.Little help please? Thanks in advance Fisheye

:) I have been using the GD-100's from Airbrushcity and have no complaints.... But I just bought myself.... er .... I mean... I just asked for an Iwata HP-CS for Christmas......... :yeah: Haven't opened it yet....

A lot depends upon how much you want to spend and what all you plan to do with it. I prefer the gravity feed over the syphon..... but that is just me........... Good Hunting........:)

I did a word search right after posting. I'm in construction in Atlanta and time like I sure it is for you all is tight.I was over-whelmed with the info parts and pc,s coatings on needles wow! The paints, I started out with a pocket knife western red cedar and a pc of sand paper.Now I have a scroll saw belt sander dremel and a table full of parts and cabinets full of spray paints. I don't know what to do the Itwai is 169.00 then I need a compressor and hoses I am getting a little weak knee action going on here.

Thinking about all the airbrush posts I've read in the last several months, I'd recommend the Iwata Eclipse. Users are very satisfied with the quality and performance. It has a .3 or .35 (I forget) tip, which is just about ideal for crankbaits (shading, color basecoating and details). IMO, the Iwata HP series brushes with .2 mm tips are too small when you want to color basecoat. In the Eclipse series, I'd choose the Eclipse BS, catalog ECL2500 in Dixieart.com, selling for $109. You may find one on Ebay at a discount. And yep, you'll need a compressor. If you have a tool compressor, you can adapt it fuw airbrushes with hose adapters, a filter and air control. If not, a small tool compressor is probably the cheapest way to get sufficient air pressure/cfm for an airbrush, since airbrush compressors are rather pricey.

IWATA.... IWATA.... I WATa.... I WANT A..... IWATA!!!!

GET THE HP- Eclipse BCS.... .50 tip... you can shoot small lines with it..and basecoat just like Bob says. Dixieart.com. Just remember one more thing. A happy gun is a clean one. CLEAN YOUR GUN EVERYDAY!! and you will paint better and faster. I own 6 BCS Guns... I like them that much.

GOOD LUCK

The ROOKIE

True spike -- its an e-bay deal---- I think im going to go with a new one. I'm only going to use it for Scale patterns on my hollow bodied soft swim baits at this point and have to use auto type paint to get it to stick to the plastic. I bought a can of auto spray touch up paint at the auto store and i liked the effect i got but you don't have the control with a paint can. What is the best airbrush paint to use on soft plastic baits?

I can't speak intelligently on the equipment used, but wife is at about the 5000 item sold mark and any time your going to do an eBay deal, you always have figure there could be some loss of time, patients, and maybe even money in the process. I would want to make sure the air brush was rebuildable (no that isn’t a real word) new seals and needle are available and not outrageously priced.

HappyTime, the Createx AutoAir instructions (PDF format) at Dixie Art recommend a .5 mm tip airbrush. A .3mm tip can be used if the paint is thinned 1:3 with 4011 Reducer, or a .2mm tip with paint thinned 1:5 (yeah, 1 paint, 5 reducer!). I've never used it but per the instructions, it would seem thicker than standard Createx airbrush colors. It also says an "adhesion promoter" (whatever that is) may be required on plastics. Just FYI.

Bob, Thanks for the info. I'm a Hand Pourer not a painter so this is totally new to me. I'm just trying to find the best airbrush to use and the best paint to use to paint soft bodied baits. Like i said before all i have used so far to paint Scales on my Tube swim baits is a can of auto paint its called SEM color coat "flexible coating" and it worked but i want more control thats why im getting into airbrushing them instead.

Be careful buying used........I bought a used brush once and it was so clogged with old paint that I spent a full day cleaning it. If he has always cleaned the brush and the cone tip (tiny tip on the front end) isn't flared and the needle is perfectly straight (watch for slight bend at the very tip) you would be ok. If any of these pieces is damaged and you have to replace it you will be back over 100 dollars into the brush immediately.

RM