stream stalker

Question concerning fluid beds?

I made some fluid beds out of PVC pipe and use a aquarium pump..

When working right the air fluffs up the powder...kinda looks like it "boiling"...Just believe it give it a more even coat and not as think as when just dipping straight into the powder...

I've made up 5 little beds for the colors I use most frequently so saves a little time...and mess...to have each color in it's own bed instead of changing out colors each time..

Scottie

A fluid bed fluidizes the powder. Now that I dazzled you with that, I'll try to explain. Powder paint is very dense and is compacted in a jar, kind of like wet sand. In a fluid bed the powder is mixed with air and is actually suspended in the cushion of air. When the bait enters the fluid bed, there is no resistance like you get when dipping in a jar and the bait is completely surrounded by powder applying an even coat over the entire surface of the bait. Hope this wasn't too confusing.

Munkin, I use a standard 3" cup to paint all my spinnerbaits with the largest being a 1oz with a 6/0 hook, no problems.

Stream Stalker,

If you would like to see the fluid bed in operation, check out our website at www.tjstackle.com under the fluid bed section. There are some videos on powder painting that use the fluid bed. The biggest advantage of using a fluid bed is like the others have said. It puts an even, thinner coat of paint on the jigs which means the eyes will not be clogged, there will not be any drips on the jigs when you cure them and you use less paint. Another advantage of a fluid bed is that you can paint large jigs easier. It is easier to dip a 2oz tube jig in a fluid bed then to try to dip it in the stagnant paint in a jar. Using a fluid bed and a toaster oven, you can paint hundreds of jigs an hour.

Benjamin

TJ's Tackle

Now I understand. In addition, now I understand how I get clogged eyes when painting out of the jar and the occassinal drips while oven curing. Hmmmmm..........may have to get a fluid bed in the future.

stream stalker....here's a little tip I got recently from the good folks here..

When you dip your jig immediately take a small wire and run through the eye of the hook before the powder has a chance to set and harden.. .I just use an old spinnerbait wire and that worked pretty good... Even when using a fluid bed clogged eye's can still happen especially with the smaller eye hooks..

Scottie

Here we go again... Another new guy (me) asking for help reinventing the wheel ( or, in this case, a fluid bed). I realize from some of the dates of the posts on this subject, these questions come up an average of 3 times a month. I am looking for a build list, maybe a few photos, a tutorial. If it would help, I can put it into a .pdf format.

Bruce

It's not worth the effort to try to build your own. Spend the $ and buy one from Dayooper. You will not be disappointed. You will see all kinds of makeshift homemade beds that use paper bags, coffee filters, etc... Yoopers beds are made with solid interchangable cups with lids that utilize a very expensive material for the cup bottoms that is made for fluid bed applications to allow even distribution of the airflow, not coffee filters or paper. I know how much the stuff costs and I know he is not making much $ for the price at which he sells them. See posts in this forum from people that have purchased them. I have one that I use all the time.

Here we go again... Another new guy (me) asking for help reinventing the wheel ( or, in this case, a fluid bed). I realize from some of the dates of the posts on this subject, these questions come up an average of 3 times a month. I am looking for a build list, maybe a few photos, a tutorial. If it would help, I can put it into a .pdf format.

Bruce

Hello Bellville Bruce,

Another Illinoisan, close to my neck of the woods. I have all you want on how to build a fluid bed. Along with other powder painting info. If you are not handy, and don't know what PVC is then I would suggest you buy one from TJ's Tackle mentioned above. It is still cheaper probably to buy from Benjamin than to make your own, with the time you spend in assembling and putting it together. Weigh the differences. If you are still interested in making one PM me for more info.