mark poulson

Hook Hangers

I have been making Lunker Punker type baits, and I need a source for hook hangers.

I've been spitting egg sinkers, and pushing cotter pins through the halves, then epoxy setting them. It works (thanks to whoever posted the idea here), but it is a pain to cut the sinkers.

I saw a source for ready made hook hangers with poured on cylindrical lead weights on this forum, but I lost it.

Help!

Thanks in advance.

I use hand twisted wire screw eyes for hangers. I've seen baits with straight wire hangers that have been crimped several times to provide more glue area. Straight ones probably work fine but I'm SURE twisted ones will never fail. 5 or 30 min epoxy is fine. I use whatever, depending on how many baits I'm gluing and how soon I need to do the next task. I use Rod Bond paste epoxy if I'm feeling lazy. It's stays very soft for at least 2 hrs and takes 5 hrs to really begin to harden, so you can mix one batch and take as long as you like. I hate mixing a bunch of small batches of 5 min epoxy!

Kellure,

The only expansion glue I'm aware of is Gorilla Glue. Is there another?

When I use halved egg sinkers, I push the cotter pin through from the cut side, and then bend the legs open to 90 degrees, and cut them short. When I set them, I drill a hole big enough for the entire half sinker to go into with the protruding pin leg stubs, fill 1/2 of the hole with 5 min. epoxy, and then seat the hookhanger in the epoxy. The hookhanger usually displaces enought epoxy to fill the rest of the hole, with a small amount of spillover. I clean that up with an alcohol rag. I'm pretty confident the tabs left after I cut off the cotter pin, seated in epoxy, will hold. I was worried that the ready made hangers with the cylindrical weights might be too slick to really grab. I guess I could score the sides to make a good grabbing surface.

Mark