RGR5RTB

Powder painting SB's

I have a question about powder painting SB's. I have tried tapping it off the brush onto the heated SB but it always comes out very lumpy. I tried heating it in the toaster thinking it would run enough to smooth it out but that did not work either. Any suggestions as to where I am going wrong?

Thanks guys I will try these things you mentioned. The brush I was using was a throw away that I use for epoxy that may be the problem or the Powder paint is old and could be wet.

First of all, never ever use any of your brushes that you use for powder for anything else. Never stick a brush that has been used for something else in powder paint. Also you need to keep your powder clean in its virgin state. If you are going to mix powder, mix it in a separate container. If you keep your powder closed tightly, it will never get lumpy. If you keep your powder in a fluid bed or open, it will absorb moisture, however it is usable, unless you put water in it. Lastly I've had powder paint for seven years, and never had a problem with it. Again you have to keep things clean and air tight.........Just some more info for you.

Sorry did not mean that used the same brush I was using for epoxy just the same cheap throw away type brush that I use with epoxy. As for the paint I do not use white powder paint very often so it is old but it has remained in the jar in the shop. It does not appear lumpy or wet in the jar. I am going to get a new jar of paint just to make sure that is not the problem.

I am very interested in a fluid bed that will work with SB's. I would prefer to use powder paint on everything. Maybe just spray on the accents.

Something I am going to try is to cut 2 slits in an empty paint jar for the hook and wire and put a small amount of PP in it and just shake it on.

Thanks to all that replied I have learned alot off this site.

Sorry did not mean that used the same brush I was using for epoxy just the same cheap throw away type brush that I use with epoxy. As for the paint I do not use white powder paint very often so it is old but it has remained in the jar in the shop. It does not appear lumpy or wet in the jar. I am going to get a new jar of paint just to make sure that is not the problem.

I am very interested in a fluid bed that will work with SB's. I would prefer to use powder paint on everything. Maybe just spray on the accents.

Something I am going to try is to cut 2 slits in an empty paint jar for the hook and wire and put a small amount of PP in it and just shake it on.

Thanks to all that replied I have learned alot off this site.

White powder paint has always been my problem child. I have gone through couple dozen powder paint companies to find the right micron levels of white, so it would go on really easy. I've been very unsuccessful, in finding a white that just flows on really smooth. Also if you are going to buy a fluid bed, buy one from Benjamin, a TU member. He goes by the screen name dayooper, I heard his fluid beds are excellent, and he has some good prices on powder paint. He has a site with a lot of good info. PM him, he's a good guy to work with.