IamSpartacus

A nudge in the right direction?

I'm almost completely new to this making my own hardbaits thing but have succeeded in finishing three, and two of them actually work! I've read so much on this site that has helped my understanding and progress grow exponentially, but I was wondering how all you guys make your eyes/where you buy them? I'm not sure if the 3D eyes on some of your guys amazing lures are completely handmade or bought somewhere, hopefully online.

Thanks a ton for any help!

P.S. If the process which you use to make your eyes is extremely intensive it probably won't be of much use to me. I'm just a college student with minimal resources and money, just enough to get by and dabble in lure making on the side. My roommate and I both make our lures on our dining room/living room table. Anyways thanks! Its late and I'm rambling...

There was a post on here about making your own eyes at one time ....I'm not sure if it was lost when the board went down a while back but it only involved some 2 part epoxy and some paint. Maybe someone else can provide the info for you. You can also purchase them rather inexpensively from Stamina. Not sure but I think its staminainc.com :yay:

Ave Spartacus

i'm not sure if this helps but i'll give it a try...

eyes:

you can cut or "punch" out some reflex foil for the eyes. make a "dot" (permanent marker) in the middle for the iris...

or

punch out holes in to a "board" and fill it up with epoxy left overs. epoxy leftovers can be "spiced" with glitter. put a drop of paint in to the middle for the iris.

You can buy furnace foil tape at Walmart. Punch it with a paper punch.

Put a dab of black paint in the center with a small nail head.

Peel the paper backing off and stick it on the lure.

You could also put a dab of white on, then put a dab of black in the center of the white, and you'd have a silver eye with a white/black center pupil.

After completing the process I described above, you can give the eye a "3D" effect by placing a blob of epoxy over it and letting it dry before applying the eye to the bait.

You can also use different types of mylar-type paper and other holographic papers to punch the eyes from.

Or...you can simply use a pencil eraser to put a dab of paint on in yellow or white directly on the lure and then put a smaller dab for white/black for the pupil.

With a bit of practice a lot of builders make excellent hand-painted eyes. Check out the gallery for examples and ideas.

So I just successfully made my first batch of eyes, thanks for all the great help! Unfortunately I just now realized that the devcon epoxy everybody talks about is the 2 ton and I got the five minute variety. I was wondering, to those who use devcon, if the 2 ton comes in a crystal clear variety or only the clear. I think I remember reading on one of these threads that it has a tendency to yellow... Any words of advice on where to get the crystal clear variety of the 2 ton? I didn't see it at Wal-Mart. I'm also having a really hard time finding it online anywhere, if it exists. I'll apologize right now, because I am sure you guys have probably answered this question hundreds of times.

I'm almost completely new to this making my own hardbaits thing but have succeeded in finishing three, and two of them actually work!

Flying off at a tangent, I am interested in the one that didn't work. Did you identify the problem? Failed lures are an opportunity to learn more, for you and everyone here. Appologies for digressing.

Yeah I identified the problem, it was an unfortunate case of being really ignorant... I didn't weight the lure at all, leaving my berkeley firestick imitation, made out of balsa, floating on its side. It then kind of did this weird shoot off to the side, roll over and shoot to the other side. I'll never make that mistake of not checking the lure in water before painting it and such again though.