Brshpile

Poured them today!

I poured 100 3/4 ounce football jigs today and they all came out perfect. I then painted all of them using the powder bed and they came out perfect to. Thanks for all of the help with this. The information on this site is unbelievable, and I could not have done it for my first time without it. It was easier than I thought. Now onto more molds and more lead:) ....

That's what this site is all about, it's like a close knit family. We all including myself try to help everyone out. Take yourself back 25 -30 years if your old enough, and think of all the trial and error we all went through to get things accomplished. Now with the internet, and help from others you can achieve all of this info from the best of the best on TU, in a very short time. Don't feel bad the passion only gets worse.

Hey, did you get your burn initiation yet?

1. Picking up hot casting with bare fingers.

2. Splashback dropping more lead into melt.

3. Touching hot mold to bare skin.

Probably left out a few, but seriously, if you can avoid all this, you're doing better than I did starting out.

I just can't get the hang of wearing the gloves for mold casting. I use a bottom pour also. Now when rough melting to make the ingots, I wear protection.

Have a few small battle scars.

I'm right handed, so I hold my molds in my left hand, and use my right hand to operate the lever on my bottom pour pot. I only wear a leather glove on my left hand and a latex or vynyl glove on my right hand. This keeps my hands from touching the lead any more than I have to.

Well, its kinda impossible to load small hooks with gloves, but the mold handling hand can be always gloved. Dunno about others, but leather gloves heat through too much for my comfort so I started using cheap rayon I think coarse weave ones that are reversible for either hand. Not talking about the cotton fabric ones. They seem to insulate and breath better than leather, though I wouldn't want too much liquid melt on em. They do wear out but less than $2.00 a pair.

hawnjigs, not 100% sure of the properties of Rayon, but I do know that you should get some 100% cotton if you can, the other fabrics tend to melt, which would make the situation worse if you were to have an accident.

I used to do electrical work, and bring it up because in our safety training, I learned just what would happen to 'the jewels' if my nomex failed, and it burned through to my polyester boxers :)

Good point so I did some research. Rayon is a cellulosic fiber made from wood pulp as opposed to petroleum based synthetics like polyester, nylon, etc. Like cotton it does not melt and its "auto-ignition"(?) temp is 752* F. I've been unhurt by minor lead spatters on the gloves and when touching hot surfaces the heat takes awhile to reach skin and builds gradually rather than suddenly scorching hot like leather. ie: with the rayon(?) gloves there's time to let go before being burnt. Molten synthetic on skin would definitely be uncomfortable, especially at the high temps needed to burn through nomex or kevlar. Thanks "dampeoples" I learned a lot and am passing on the information.

I dont know why the leather thing is so bad! I had no problems with the gloves that I had and never even got close to being burned....sure they are a little bulky and maybe sometimes hard to grab a hook but even stuck my hand down in the pot to drop some lead back in the pot....and never felt even the slightest bit of heat that would worry a person...Its kinda like putting the eyes on a football jig. If you think about it, the football jig is mostly fished in deep water for probing, digging into the rock and dirt and getting beat up most of its life, so why would you waste the time to put eyes on it? just my .02 .....

With a bottom pour leathers fine. With a pot & ladle pouring ingots or big sinkers you get into situations like picking up castings or tipping the last of the melt from a pot where leather can get hot so quickly you have to rip off the glove. Of course you learn to avoid these sitiuations but sometimes work load pressure can make you careless. As for eyes I've read articles by respected authorities on jigging who prefer unpainted lead for many applications.

Final word on woven rayon(?) gloves - I wear them for comfort and they wouldn't offer the barrier protection of leather in a situation where enough liquid melt contact could burn through woven fiber. And no glove that I know will let you hold onto a fresh hot ingot for long.

"dampeoples" your former employer probably wanted you to have the coverall as a token of appreciation.

I agree about leather gloves. They get real hot without warning. For handling hot surfaces I use the ove glove hot surface handler but it has very little barrier protection, its ok for splatters. I use latex on 1 hand to load the mold. I am still looking for a better solution.

I wear a shop coat that is made from fire hose.

Its kinda like putting the eyes on a football jig. If you think about it, the football jig is mostly fished in deep water for probing, digging into the rock and dirt and getting beat up most of its life, so why would you waste the time to put eyes on it? just my .02 .....

Well, to answer that question.....those of us that sell tackle know that some/most times it's not what the fish like, but what the person buying it likes. Maybe I should say that fish are not as picky about rigs as the person buying it is. Fancy/pretty sells.

Hey, the OVE glove looks exactly like the rayon(?) ones dipped in nomex & kevlar, except it costs over $20 with SH for ONE and ones I use are, what, $1.49 a pair. Great idea, those guys are making a killing!

I cut and pasted this from http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/ove_glove.html

"The 'Ove' Glove is made from an outer layer of DuPont NOMEX and KEVLAR - the same materials used in firefighter's gloves. "