shoalie

Lacquer Base??? I heard that this is better for overall detail and durability???

I have been using water based Createx for a year now and like it fine. The only thing I dislike is the drying time on moist days and limited clear coat availability.

However, I keep hearing from other painters that I should go to lacquer based paint for even better results and detail.

Is this true, because I have an awful lot of water based paint that I need to use!!!!!

You will get different answers to your question. If you're having problem with properly thinned paint doing detail, changing paint isn't gonna make you any better, now is it? Guys like Kelly Barefoot of CLU, last time I spoke with him, use mostly water based paints, and there isn't an argument that his baits are top of the line. Then again, Blades uses Laquers, and his baits are top of the line as well. The conclusion? Them boys can paint :) Keep using your Createx, and more importantly, keep practicing!

Water base is by far the safest to use of the two. Lacquer requires special equipment to keep the fumes to a level that can be tolerated but it is still a very dangerous product to use especially in cramped quarters where most of us have to ply our hobby. Prep work and experience I believe will make your painted baits look and perform similar to lacquer painted baits.

lacquer clears are very thin and brittle. as for lacquer paints, thats what we use. it sets very fast. but as stated you need respiraters anda good blower to remove fumes. water based pearls we use for scaling is excellent with good dry times.. for the hobbyist water base is a very good choice.

lacquers are great for production. as stated smells and vapours.. they are brittle and need a good topcoat. we changed our clear from lacquer to circa new luster 55. muskies destroy paint jobs.. as for pearls and lacquers . we use pearl powders from dupont mix with lacquer thinners and shoot. instant dry.