Brshpile

Lead?

I am going to my wifes grandfathers farm for christmas. He has junk collected and I mean tons of junk all over the barns and farm. My question is what all kind of farm equipement, junk, so much stuff its sickening, can I look for to get some lead out of. I know old batteries have lead in it but I really dont want to tear into them just for the little lead they have in them. Any insights would be great so I kinda know what to look for....

Yeah, batteries are the worst. Back in Grandpop's day lead was used for roof flashing in sheets and around vent pipes. Check any old pipe to see if its lead. The joints of big cast iron pipe sections have a gasket of very good quality plumber's lead which came in the form of six or eight sided blocks about 4" in diameter. Old telephone line cable and connections might be lead sheathed. Although not lead, bearing seats that support rotating rods like engine crankshafts are often babbit made of a tin alloy which is excellent for alloying into lead. Trophies, old metal decorative items, & cast toys like soldiers might be lead or pewter although those might have a collector value exceeding the metal value. Metal pitcher and cup sets are often pewter, but I repeat check on collectible value before melting down. Old soldering wire or bars will also contain a significant amount of expensive tin - don't waste tin by randomly mixing it into your lead melt - 5% or less is all you need for an improved lead alloy. Old weight training equipment might be made of lead or be lead shot filled. Boats might have a lot of lead in the hull or keel as ballast weight. Actually, anything metal that seems heavier than iron or steel might be lead. If it scratches, dents, or bends easily you've scored. That should keep ya busy.