stripercrazy

question on Glider type baits

6 posts in this topic

Striper,

it would be wood that grows on trees :eek:

There are so many choices that I can only list a few

maple, meranti, oak, mahogony, cherry, poplar, balsa and a hole host of others are some that have been used by many lure builders with great success.

:lol: I was wondering if a heavy wood and less lead is better than light wood and alot of lead:) I got cypress and maple, mahogany and cherry:) white ceder and ayc to 6 inches...but we got no muskys in rhode island...we got pike:) I'm thinking of useing the glider for bluefish:)

They will all work for you striper but each will behave a bit differently. I would suggest you build one from a light wood and one from a heavy and see which you like the action from the best.

RM

I've found that heavier woods are harder to balance completely upright, since so much weight is in the wood above the center line. Right now, I'm using pine, which is light, strong, and easy to carve/shape.

If you want a bait that has some belly roll, go with a dense hardwood for the reasons already stated above (instability). You don't need much lead to sink a maple hardwood plug. Hooks, hardware, and final epoxy do affect bouyancy I have had trouble overshooting how much lead to add to these types of baits. If you prefer a bit more stability, use a larger bit with shallower hole to keep the center of gravity low. Heavy gauge hooks can add a stabilizing effect also.