Dark

Modifying jig molds to make them larger

I have a do it jig mold and i like most of the cavities the way they are. however the largest jig it will pour is 9/16. I fish a lot in thick grass and i wanted to make one of the tiny jig cavities on there(which i never use) into a hefty jig size. I have seen mention of using a dremel to modify these molds but no mention of the specific type bites to use. Also do you guys have any tips for keeping the two halves lined up properly so i get both side balanced and don't end up with tons of excess flashing. I appreciate any info you have to offer.

Dark

Save the effort. Get the mold that has the next size up. If you are fishing grass – you might want the larger sizes anyway. Calculate how much your time is worth and the job. It will probably take more then 2 or 3 hours - that pays for a new mold. Free hand and a dremel are not good for molds.

Yeah, you gotta be exceptionally skilled to Dremel the job you describe. If a production mold is unavailable, try contacting shawncollinscustoms.com and inquire if he has what you want on file. Lots cheaper to cut a pre-loaded design than do a from scratch custom mold. Grass/swim jig design appears to be pretty standard nowadays and I'll bet he's got something real close, if not exactly what you have in mind.

I can try it on the cavity i don't use anyhow and the jig style i use is not one that is common. I will check with the site you mentioned but i would like to attempt to modify this one some. one section i really only want to oversize the skirt holding collar a little which should be fairly simple. Thanks for the advice.

OK, go for it. The first and last time I tried to Dremel a body cavity I created concaves that locked the casting in & stuck the mold halves together. I had to drill a big hole through the mold halves to get molten lead in to free it up. So be careful if using a ball cutter.

I have tried to modify several molds with a dremel. They usually don't come out looking very good, but the baits are functional. I use a ball cutter on the dremel. I usually cut one side of the mold like I want it, then pour some lead in it. Take the casting out of the mold and set in in the un-modified side. Trace around it with a fine tip sharpie or a scribe. Start cutting on it a little, then pour another bait. compare the two sides of the bait to see where you need to cut more out of the mold. Keep cutting and pouring until you get the two side as close as you want them. Be patient.