clemmy

jig tying with wire?

Just thought I'd mess around with trying for a more secure jig by wrapping with wire, but had a few questions...

Is the type of stainless wire that Lurecraft sells for wrapping the best or ?

How many wraps are needed?

How do you tie it off? Series of half hitches like flies or ?

Do I need to epoxy over the top?

Thanks guys!

Clemmy

I use 28 gauge Anealed wire it is black in color and very strong yet thin, I cut a peice about 3 inches long, wrap it around twice and pull it tight with needle nose on each end and twist a half hitch to hold it then simply take each end in each hand and twist it about 5 times and cut, bend twisted tag over against your wrap and your GTG.

Radio shack has solid copper, 24 ga, speaker wire. 3 or 4.99 for a 75 yard spool + 150yards of wire.

I stuck out at my local craft stores and wally world for copper wire.

I think I read in another post that a guy takes the copper wire off of dead electric motors. It should be small enough, comes off in good tying sized pieces and is free.

Check you local landfill swap meet, recycling center, thrift store for dead motors.

I guess I'm just not visualizing what your talking about. Is the discussion about regular bucktail leadheaded jigs? I have always used size E thread and head cement to tie mine. I can almost see using stainless wire if you can actually get it to stay in place; but the copper wire seems like it would be prone to corrosion. What am I missing?

Bruce

I have a question about tying with wire. I have not even tied a jig yet but am assmebling things to start tying my own. If I use craft wire or some type of wire instead of thread approximately how much weight do you think I would add to the jig? I normally fish with 3/4oz football heads so if I will be using wire should I tie the wire to a 1/2oz head considering that the wire may get me close to the original 3/4 oz that I am shooting for or is the weight so insignificant that I should just tie to the 3/4oz head? Thanks in advance.

I think we assumed that this inquiry was about "bass" jigs made with silicone and or rubber skirt material.

Weighinalimit is right on the money, the construction site idea is a good one. Show up at the end of the day with a sixer and everyone is friends.

When did the price of copper go up?

The price of all metals has gone up. China is buying scrap like it is going out of style to support their new found economics....Scrap lead is about four times what I was paying a year ago.

I probably wasn't very clear on what wire i meant, the wire for HVAC controls, alarms and telephone has several small (approx 22 to 26ga wire) inside the larger strand. The scrap from these is too small to be worth much and I often get quite a bit given to me for free around new residential construction sites. Also, if you happen to know a phone co. tech, ask him for a few feet of IW (in wall) drop wire, it's 3pr 26ga conductor & is perfect.

Hi

Just to add on a little (just had a chance to look this up) attached is a "How To Do It" that I scanned in from Living Rubber Company Skirting Material Catalog 1998. (This was Frank Hauck company) Price for the wire 1.50 (then) for 100 ft 24 Gauge. Works great on Rubber have not tried it with the silicon skirts since we have "Collars" to keep them together. Do not know if they are still in business will check it out.

(Sorry about the quality of the scan but did not have that much to work with .. looked for an old Frank's catalog as the How To Was A Lot Plainer).

JSC

WireTie.jpg

WireTie.jpg

WireTie.jpg

WireTie.jpg

WireTie.jpg

WireTie.jpg

WireTie.jpg

WireTie.jpg

2516_thumb.attach