Mags

Shop heater_recommendation

Anyone have a recommendation on a cheap electric shop heater? I have a 400 square foot shop that isn't insulated. No gas out there so it has to be electric. I want to keep painting this winter and tonight it's 31 degrees. Too cold to paint. I would like to find a heater that isn't too loud and would heat the place up quickly. I see quite afew online but have no experience with them. The ones we have at work are loud.

Hi Mags,

I heat my 700 sq. foot shop/garage with a wood burner and it stays toasty and still lets me hear the stereo, but it is well insulated. I think you should consider insulating your shop first and then it shouldn't take much to heat it and it will help with the Texas sun in summer too. I work construction and the only way I've found to quickly heat an uninsulated building is to use a torpedo (Reddy Heater) and those are definitely LOUD! Also an uninsulated building cools off quickly too. So go the bucks for some insulation, it helps with sound too if you jam the classic rock like I do, LOL.

Mags,

I installed a Bull Dawg natural gas heater two winters ago in my shop/garage. I did the gas myself from the house. It wasn't that hard, and cheap. I tried the electric route and found everything that was afordable not sufficient heat, so I asked a few questions and read a little and did it. I think you will be sorry if you use electric but that is just my opionion. I can heat the whole shop plus the garage with this and for pennies. Just a thought.

Rod

You might want to consider downsizing, I have a 30'x 40'x10' shop thats uninsulated which was just going to be a money pit to try to keep warm so in the corner of the building I built a small room maybe around 8'x12'x8' insulated the walls and ceiling and can get it toasty with a small 19.95 ceramic heater(70+), I dont sand in this room just paint and clearcoat which has been great for the cleaner enviroment.

I only need it when I'm painting and have coated baits and have them on the wheel to dry. The rest of the time it doesn't need any heat. I use water based paints exclusively. I wish I could build a small paint room and heat that, but I also keep my boat in the shop and it takes up most it. I may go the insulation route and look at a natural gas heater. It doesn't stay cold down here long, but when you have customers waiting for orders I can't let the cold/heat slow me down. I also have a regular day job, so I have to work a lot at night. Thanks for your input.

Steve

If you don't need the heat that much, and don't need to heat the whole area, consider an electric "directional" heater. I have a Presto heat dish I got at Costcos and it works great. Sit it on the floor and point it at you, and your toasty. Here is a link to see what they look like. I paid under $70 for mine if I remember right. I use my garage, no insulation, and when I'm just working at the bench, this is what I use, and I'll bet it's colder up here than where you are lol. I like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-HeatDish-Plus-Footlight-Parabolic/dp/B000IOTREI

Since you are using water based then paint inside. I made a make shift spray hood from a cardboard box, placed a one dollar furnace filter inside snug and cut an opening in the back and duct taped a blower from a wood stove to the back. Quiet and works like a charm and much cheaper than heating my insulated shop. I do most of my work in the shop then move the painting indoors. No overspray at all.

paint2.jpg

paint.jpg

Thanks guys. I am leaning toward insulating and putting a heater in, or moving my painting operation into the garage, which is already insulated. Moving my stuff into the house is out of the question. Too many women in the house disrupting the creative process!