Tapupa

Gel Super Glue ruined powder paint job

Molded a couple dozen Poison Tail jigs. Painted using powder and then baked for twenty minutes. Finish on these were excellent. Used Devcon 2 Ton to seal the eyes. Because Devcon has such a short working time I decided to use Gel Super Glue for the weedguards instead of Devcon. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!! It seems that the vapors from the curing process of the Super Glue has basically ruined what was a great powder paint job. It has left a film of some kind on the paint job that has dulled the finish. Very disappointing to go through the steps and have them basically ruined at the end. Good lesson learned............:flame:

Dick

I've not experienced this, I use gel for my weedguards and they come out fine. Did you add the guards before the devcon dried completely? The super glue will leave a milky looking residue if you are messy with it, but it comes off.

I have a slightly different process, I normally powderpaint, airbrush, let dry, apply eyes, apply dick nite, let dry, then super glue the weedguards in. I'm pretty sure Ted uses epoxy on his jigs as well, and not heard him talk of any problems. I did, however, about a year ago, coat some lures with devcon, and the entire job turned milky, couldn't figure it out! Give us some more info on the process, might be something we can help with!

Super glue, moisture and heat are commonly used in police circles to develope latent fingerprints (Retired Law Enforcement). Normally done in some sort of chamber to consentrate the fumes. It reacts to the amino acids in your body oil. Don't know about the environment your jigs were in, but it may be something to keep in mind.

This is very good info, and interesting. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I haven't had a problem either and have been using super glue gel for several years now. I seem to lean toward the Devcon being the culprit here, just a gut feeling (or was it a bad burrito :eek: ?)

I did the same thing but out of my 100 heads I poured I only glued in a dozen and mine did the same thing with the gel. I wont use it anymore after that. The white does wipe off some but not totally and I really dont want to create another step in the process of having to wipe white stuff off of my jigs. I didnt think that I was sloppy with it either. What is some of the glues that people use that dry clear?

How are you applying the 2T that you don't have enough time for a couple dozen weedguards? You shouldn't have to worry about the superglue ruining your powder paint. Just dip the guard and get a little epoxy on the end and put it in the head. I can easily do 80 jigheads with one batch of 2T. You can keep using it as long as it'll stick to the weedguard nicely.

Molded a couple dozen Poison Tail jigs. Painted using powder and then baked for twenty minutes. Finish on these were excellent. Used Devcon 2 Ton to seal the eyes. Because Devcon has such a short working time I decided to use Gel Super Glue for the weedguards instead of Devcon. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!! It seems that the vapors from the curing process of the Super Glue has basically ruined what was a great powder paint job. It has left a film of some kind on the paint job that has dulled the finish. Very disappointing to go through the steps and have them basically ruined at the end. Good lesson learned............:flame:

Dick

I can tell you this is what I've found through my years of doing this. All chemicals don't mix well with each other, with that said, my first question to you is this. Why are you not using Devcon throughout your whole process? I will answer this part in the last thread. Now I will tell you that I powder paint everything, and use Devcon 5 min for my weedguards, and Devcon 2T for my finish coat, with jigs/spinnerbaits that take 3D eyes. On the Devcon 5 min., you just dab the bottom of the weedgurd in the epoxy, and stick it in the hole. You don't have to have it oozing out. The finish coat will seal all the rest in place. If you want to slow down the cure time of the epoxy, keep it cold. Now as far as super glue, I've had a very bad experience with it so I don't use it. Now keep in mind the following information. I tried the original super glue, and it damaged my baked finish as I was trying to put it my weedguards. Next I tried super glue gel. This is where I think their may be a problem. But I'm not an expert at this. I bought "Loctite" super glue gel. It did the same thing, it damaged my finish. Remember there are at least half a dozen manufactureres now that make super glue and super glue gel. I don't believe that are all created the same. I personally don't use super glue/super glue gel. I'm not saying that they don't work, I've just had a bad experience with them. Also remember, I personally use 12-20 different powder paint manufactureres, at any given time. So if I put on 6 colors of powder from six different manufacturers, the chemical make up of six different powders may be my problem also. However, I have never had any problems with Devcon 5min and Devcon 2T. I will stand by their product.

I've not experienced this, I use gel for my weedguards and they come out fine. Did you add the guards before the devcon dried completely? The super glue will leave a milky looking residue if you are messy with it, but it comes off.

I have a slightly different process, I normally powderpaint, airbrush, let dry, apply eyes, apply dick nite, let dry, then super glue the weedguards in. I'm pretty sure Ted uses epoxy on his jigs as well, and not heard him talk of any problems. I did, however, about a year ago, coat some lures with devcon, and the entire job turned milky, couldn't figure it out! Give us some more info on the process, might be something we can help with!

Dick, BTW I believe Sterling (dampeoples) is referring to me, I'm Ted. Other than I don't use super glue gel, Sterling is right. It does leave a residue, however it does come off.

How are you applying the 2T that you don't have enough time for a couple dozen weedguards? You shouldn't have to worry about the superglue ruining your powder paint. Just dip the guard and get a little epoxy on the end and put it in the head. I can easily do 80 jigheads with one batch of 2T. You can keep using it as long as it'll stick to the weedguard nicely.

Dick, this last post by clamboni is right on the head. Why do you want to add another chemical or process to making and finishing your jig? Why not stick with Devcon from start to finish? As I mentioned earlier, I use Devcon 5 min. for my weedguard, since I want them to dry faster. You can also use Devcon2T. With Devcon 2T, I too can do a lot of weed guards, even if it starts to get sticky. If it gets too thick, you can hit the mixed epoxy with a hair dryer, to soften it. Make sure you have your mixed epoxy on a upside soda can, so you don't overheat something and cause a fire. I also hit my jigs lightly with a hair dryer or a heat gun, if the epoxy seems too thick on my jig, it smooths it out really nice.

I don't have all the answers for you, but with all the responses you have gotten here, I hope something will work for you. One last thing if you find a perfect solution and it works don't try to fix it.................Ted

Thanks, sure enough my local wal mart had it. I got the kind that I guess is called 5 minute epoxy?

If you are only going to use it for weedguards, the Devcon 5 minute is fine. If you are looking to put a finish coat on do not use Devcon 5 Minute. Use Devcon 2T. It has a longer working time. Supposedly Devcon 5 minute yellows with age, however I never have jigs long enough to worry about it. Also I have never had Devcon 2T yellow. I've kept it outside on my deck for over a year in the sun, and snow, and haven't noticed any change. This was put on a white jig.