blackjack

TU Etiquette Takers Vs. Givers

My name is Barry Sterud.  I'm 58 and retired from deep sea shipping as an Engineer.  I have always loved fishing but only got into Bass fishing about 10 years ago.  I live in Oakley, California which is located adjacent to the California Delta.  I fish local club tournaments and some local pro shop tournaments.  I started out tying up hand poured jigs.  A friend showed me how to get a MS Slammer bit but he also had one that didn't walk well out of the package.  I tried to fix it but decided I could do better.  Mine didn't last long.  I started painting 1.5s and 2.5s for myself and gave some away to my friends.  Next thing I'm repainting a Wake Jr. for a friend and it turned out good.  Then I started making wake baits.  I didn't copy exactly, I just used all of the features I could do from a Huddleston, a Slammer, and a Wake Jr. to turn out a rainbow trout wake bait like I put in the gallery here.

At first I got tips from Dakota Lakes website and Youtube, then I got on to TU and really enjoy the site.  Think I have been able to add some good ideas to several of the threads.  I don't think anyone should freak out over the read vs. replies.  I only reply if I have something to add that I feel might be of some value.  Even then, another member has already covered it just as well or better than me so I leave it at that.  Also, I will read threads in other sections like soft baits just to see what everyone is doing over there even thou I have no plans to start in soft plastics and couldn't advise anyone there.

Keep it fun,

Barry

I agree I see all to often someone ask a question and have it answered, them someone chimes in with the same information and another and another  with one or two changes in the explanation it just seems sometimes people feel the need to be heard regardless if the question has been answered which grossly exaggerates their post count. I can see if someone answered the question but say didn't put up a link and the following post did, I'm probably guilty of that but content trumps fluff and filler any day.

My name is Bryan Barr. I'm 39 and married with 2 sons.  About 3 years ago I took a fishing trip to Wisconsin and that's where I got the idea of lure making. While fishing one morning I noticed schools of baitfish getting spooked by something larger. Figuring a top-water might be a good choice I tied on a smithwick devil horse that I purchased the week prior. I never did catch anything on it but I liked how it looked in the water. I liked the old school feel to it. I never owned any wooden lures aside from a few wall hangers from my grandfather. That night while unloading all my gear out of the boat I really sat down and looked at the lure. It seemed so easy to make that a monkey could do it! Boy was I wrong!!! I can't say I wish I never tried making that first lure, but I will say I wish I knew then what I know now. Fast forward to now, even with the time and money spent I'm really glad I got involved in tackle making. I thank TU and all it's members for everything I've learned. I wish I could contribute more because I really do take more then I give but the fact is most anything I need to know the search engine finds for me. It seems anything I need to know has been covered at some point. The new questions or current topics are usually way over my head! 

I go by Crankie and I am a senile I mean senior citizen.  I've been painting lures now for about 10 years.  And, yes I have learned quite a lot from the Masters here at Tackle Underground.  I have had some of my lures used by some pros for the FLW Walleye circuit as well as the FWL League, and now for some guys with the Cabela's Walleye series. 

I thank the original core group that started TU and thank those who post their fine tutorials to help us novices out.

My name is Phil...I am married with one daughter and a black lab named Otis. I own a financial services company ( investments, insurance, and planning) in Illinois. Been bass fishing about 20 years. Painting baits for about 2 years. I try to share ideas or feedback whenever I feel I have something to offer. Lure painting is like relaxation therapy for me. My business can be stressful so I like being able to get lost in my painting ! I appreciate all those who participate on here hope I have helped some as well.

Good idea.  Just started turning, carving and painting my own River Runts and Vamps.  Search "Carving the face of a river runt" to see my tutorial.  Search my gallery, or search on the hard baits gallery for "runt" to see the accompanying pictures.  Each pic also has a description of that step.

Thanks to everyone who have and are contributing to my learning.

Mark

Hi my name is Don.I live west of the twin cities. I am 48 years old and married with two kids a high school age daughter and a son in middle school. I attempt to squeeze in fishing and lure building between their many activities. I have built lures off and on over the last 30+ years.

The fear of losing one of my favorite old lures, was the stimulus for attempting my first build. The funny thing is that I still have the old original lure along with my first lure that I made to replace it. I have been helped out by many on this site. I in return try to help others out when I can.

Don

My name is Glenn and I am a lureaholic. I'm 68 been married 49 years with two grown daughters. I am President of the Western NC Muskie Club out of Asheville, NC. I live in Marion NC and am retired form teaching cabinetmaking and construction trades at McDowell Technical Comm. College.

I love all phases of lure making. I love to whittle/turn lures but hate the process of weighting them. I mostly do repaints, make spinnerbaits and bucktails. I go by Musky Glenn

• Like 1

Name is George Mechelse.  Live in Ontario Canada.  I have been painting lures now for over a year and have come to appreciate the input and comments on this forum,  Hope to contribute as well.  I paint primarily patterns that attract largemouth and smallmouth bass.  Started out small painting for myself, my work got noticed and worked for a year painting for an online website that targets bass anglers.  Great opportunity to connect with people in the fishing world and here what they want in colors and patterns.  Nothing like catching quality fish on your own painted lures.

• Like 1

My name is Stan from beautiful but COLD middle Tennessee. Married 39 years, 3 children, 8 grandkids.

Originally from Mississippi. I'm a retired art driector and graphic designer looking for a new hobby for my "senior" years.

Entirely new to this lure making thing so forgive the newbie questions I may have. Have fished most of my life but I am one of those "boatless" fishermen, having never owned a boat. I know....very sad. Grew up fishing farm ponds and rivers with my dad.

Looking for a new pastime that I can develop and pass on to these young grandkids.

Have had a fully stocked woodworking shop for many years and am very fluent with the airbrush.

My name is Bill VanderLaan and I will fish for anything that is willing to bite a hook. Love chasing steelhead in the tribs, kings on the big water or pulling bull gills through the ice. Fear that I may soon be bitten bythe muskie bug. Currently restoring a 22' Starcraft for the big water.

I came to this site wanting to learn to make my own salmon spoons and have become totally fascinated with the concept of painting my own crankbaits. I am in the process of acquring equipment and supplies. Like everyone else, money is a bit tight, so I appreciate everyone's willingness to share their knowledge with the newbies. Hopefully, the day will come where I can help someone down the learning curve.

My name is Tim Hartmann.  I am have been married for 7 years and have two beautiful kids, a black lab cross and a cat.  I love to catch smallmouth most of all along with walleye, pike, largemouth, etc.  I paint when I can and I sell the unpainted blanks along with a ton of other fishing tackle on my website.  I can't wait to try my new Patriarch this summer!

As far as letting you know how I do something I am an open book.  I can't reply on a lot of the posts because I have never done most of the things people are asking for.  I will help you mix colors, get a cool scale pattern, give you my crankbait color charts, etc.  You just need to ask.  Thanks and I love this site!

• Like 2

Hi everyone. My name is Jonathan and I have been attempting to carve lures for the past 6 months. Everything has been from balsa and basswood thus far. I am a bass guy and after using a friends WEC Hicky I was immediately hooked to wood crankbaits. I have learned a lot from everyone here and hopefully one of my ideas can help another user.

Howdy..My name is Bob Gunderson, from Williston, North Dakota. Married, 2 kids. Started making my own jigs last year and powder coating them along with powder coating spoons. Decided I wanted to start painting my own crankbaits, so I went on YouTube and found Jake from Dakotalakestackle.com showing how "easy" it was to paint crank bodies. Love that I found this site so full of like minded people that are all very eager to help us newbies and answer any questions I've had thus far.

Hello everyone, my name is Jason Behm and I'm a walleye and muskie guy primarily  I am just a painter but have aspirations to one day build my own.  The inspiration, tips and advice one kind find here is outstanding and I offer what little advice I can on painting and top coats but take much more than I give.  I thank all those that post, you have really shortened the learning curve for us newbies..  

Hi,

my name is Eric...I am 40, married with 2 boys that I am trying to get into fishing.  I manage a marine fish hatchery in southern california, San Diego, as my day job.  I joined the boards about 4 years ago, when I first bought an airbrush set.  I got frustrated so fast, I gave up and put it away until a couple months ago.  Now I am back in it and totally enjoying it, kinda wish i had those few years back. 

I must say thanks for all the info you all have provided.  It has made everything easier and a lot less frustrating.  I hope to be able to contribute at some point, and I will start asking questions, cuz i have lots...

I'm Mike married 2 grown kids wife dog and I'm an account exec for a marketing company. I decided to make a topwater popper a couple months ago. I found this site and now I spend all my spare time building or thinking about building topwater lures. I live in Grand Forks, ND and it's really stinking cold in the winter so I needed a hobby. I fish around the Park Rapids, MN area in the summer for Bass. I am on a quest to figure out a better frog lure and with the help of all the great folks on TU I may get there. I just build for fun. I have no problem giving my opinion and sharing my failures!

I think us new folks are just lurking until we feel we have something to add. I mean someone was talking about the molecular structure of high gloss topcoats on a post the other day..... I have a hard enough time spelling molecular! A special thanks to Mark Paulson. He's really helped me out so far and has been encouraging!

Giver and taker here but I haven't given much personal info. 41 yrs old. I grew up fishing bass and crappie in the Midwest but didn't fish much after high school. I married after college and her family is into scuba which in turn got me into fly fishing. I started to tie flies for both salt and fresh water. I got back into spin gear recently chasing shore Albies in the North East. Successful lures my friends and I used were discontinued and I decided to create my own. Thanks to the people here, I managed to weigh in the first Albie in a team event in Sept with a lure I painted myself :)

I'm knot that shore what you mean  by takers versus givers but I know one thing for shore  if it wasn't  For Tu I wouldn't have even thought about making  my own lures and the knowledge freely shared on this site is truly commendable I look forward to the day when I can repay the favour and share some design's/pattern's as the willingness to share to on this site is truly out standing

cheers

Trout tramp

Ill give it a go - My name is Billy Walden, 45 years old, I live about 30 miles south of Atlanta in Ga.. I Paint aircraft for Delta Airlines and have a back ground in auto paint and body doing everything from custom paint to restorations, So I have a good paint background that has shortened the lure painting learning curve quite a bit. I have been lurking around for a couple years here. Learning and reading. Recently started painting some lures. but really want to get into the building of balsa/wood baits. Just haven't really had the time to do it. I have everything I need to start but its a little intimidating! I love TU probably on here 10 hours+ a week. Fishing is my passion and I am lucky enough to have a son that really enjoys it too. I fish mainly for fun but have been known to give my tourney friends a run for their money on occasion!

I will share all I know cause most of it is borrowed knowledge from someone along my lifes path! 

Tight lines guys!

My name is Bryson, 54 years old. I live in Eagle River Alaska with my Wife, 4 children grown and on their way, 4 grandchildren so far. Retired from Submarines and currently supply the tech equipment for the Alaska Court System until I retire in June 2014. I taught myself flytying way back in the late '70s and was fishing and losing lures rapidly up here and a buddy says " you tie flies don't you?" "I said yes" and he says "Why don't learn to make lures?" and so that began the descent into another hobby.

I am very willing to share what knowledge I have, especially since this site has helped me to learn so much! I haven't quite found my niche yet, whether it be plastic, wire or hard lures, so I am dabbling a little in each but I am willing to try anything.

Hello All,

My name is Patrick Payne, from Tupelo, MS! I am 46 years old. I have been married for 20 years and have a daughter 19 and stepson 27. Tupelo is the birthplace of Elvis Presley!!

I have learned a ton from this forum and it's great members. I always try to give back, whenever I can. I ventured into the world of crankbait carving last year, only to having to put it on hold for a while, due to the tough economy. I work fulltime in the furniture industry and we have taken a tumble downward, the last few years. I try to pickup extra work every chance I get, so I don't get to spend near as much time, in the shop, as I used too. I still try to paint a few lures every now and then, so I don't lose my touch. I enjoy the brainstorming of trying to come up with new colors. Painting is almost as relaxing as fishing!! Therapy on the Water!!

I want to Thank All Of You that have willingly shared your knowledge with me over the past couple of years!! I look forward to sharing with others, all that I have learned!!

Patrick

• Like 2

Hi

I am Rex and live in Lee's Summit, MO.  I am 53, and work for the Office of the State Auditor.  We do not and will not audit individuals.  We audit can audit all governmental agencies formed by the Missouri constitution.  We look generally do performance audits and look how agencies are spending there monies.  

I enjoy the outdoors, and recently purchased some property on the upper end of the Lake of the Ozarks.  A couple years ago, I started putting together my own jigs (buying the jig head and making skirts).  Last year I purchased some items to pour plastic.  In December I purchased an airbrush and small air compressor and I am trying to learn how to paint crank baits. 

Howdy My name is Vern Clements & I reside in Arenzville IL. I was catching alot of bass on a handmade crankbait that was available on the net, I lost everything in a home fire & when I began to replace my fishing gear I could no longer get my favorite crankbait, the maker quit & sold his bussiness. To make matters worse the new owner made some changes to the crankbait & I could no longer catch bass like it did before. I found a few on eBay eventually. Over the next 2 years I read everything, researched, created, trained myself to use airbrush to reverse engineer that bait. I was obsessed to say the least. I had never tried to create a hardbait  ! I didn't have any carving experence nor any art training or exprience, pretty much ignorant of the whole process. My 1st bait in 2008 was very crude but did function, I caught a 5 fish limit on it on a highly pressured lake that weighed in 16 to 18 lb my kicker fish was 18 1/4" this was the 1st trip with "MY" homemade crankbait. NONE of this would have happened without the people/help of this web site !!!!!!  I can never thanks you guys enuf................ever !!!! IT is impossible for me to describe the feelings I had when I caught those bass. I'm sure somebody out there on the lake with me that day wondered what the hell all that yelling, hollering & WHOOO HOOOO ing was all about. LOL THANK YOU GUYS SO VERY MUCH !!!!!!  I now sell a few to my friends to help with my bass tackle addiction.

Hello my and  names John aka crankpainter started out with fly's for trout and bass at age 9 I'm now 54 and live in W.V. near New Martinsville i found this site a few years ago and now make and sell enough baits to keep my truck full of gas so i can fish anytime i want under the name Uncle John's Baits(muskie and bass). I'm retired from the coast guard so waters near and dear . I've learned   a lot from the great people on this site and try to post helpful info when i can and to throw some ideas out there to get something that works better then when it started i also donate baits to the local V.A.hosp. as thay have a fishing outing a few times a year.for the vets stuck in the hosp. for illness's.or age so thats me in a nut shell       

Edited by crankpaint
  • Like 1