blackjack

TU Etiquette Takers Vs. Givers

Thanks for the kind words from several of you all who have and share this wonderful disease we call lure building. My wife is finishing up an education project on THE computer for about the last moth, so I've taken a bit of a break, but i'm still here and proud to be an active member of this great community. I've made some great friends here, and even discovered a long-lost cousin! BTW, I'm 54, I've been seriously bass fishing for 42 years, having been fortunate to have grown up on a good bass lake. I'll post a lure I made in 1965 soon, just for the heck of it. Kudos once again to RedGator without whom, we wouldn't be here, and the mostly thankless work of the many mods who keep us all in line!

Happy Holidays!

Dean

Been here since the begining and have always shared info to anyone who has ever asked, but how about if you are a new member a small intro about yourself, Location, age, hobbyist, business etc. Then once things are rolling maybe spread the wealth and contribute something back to the site. Way to many takers not enough givers!! Sorry about my rant. JMHO

I can agree with this. I myself posted in the 'All Aboard' section with a brief introduction to the rest of the members and have tried to 'give' whenever I can. Ultimately we are all takers simply by the fact that we read the postings and learn from them it is a pure learning process. It could also be that Lurkers and Takers are just not at ease with posting just like in person they may not be a socialite and very outgoing and will shy away from contact. It may be an idea to make a personal introduction on the All Aboard a requirement before full access is granted.

Also may I add that existing members and givers should reply to those guys who do introduce themselves in the all aboard section as a welcome reply does mean a lot to a new member who has joined and will make that guy more likely to contribute if felt welcomed.

philB

Just Kidding Hazmail.. I always like your post bud...

Matt 36 live in CONCORD, NC.. I feel as if Im a giver in life and a taker of advice. However all the advice I took was given to me by some great people! Thanks TU!! you guys are the best. If you would like to ask me something I dont mind to give you my opinion or advice or a tip or two I have learned.. if I dont know the answer.. I got Dean's PHONE NUMBER!!! we can call him and bug the crap out of him at 4am!!! if his not up.. we will call FAT!!!

• Like 1

After taking so much info about all of you i’ll think it’s time to give J

I’m michael, 33 years old. I live near zurich in swizerland, and no, bern is the capital. I work as a realestate portfolio manager. I’m not married and i have no kids of which i know of. But i do have a pepper/salt giant schnauzer lady. (she’s the 3rd)

I’m building wooden freshwater lures since a couple of years now, with more or less succes. but since i found TU i switched instantly to PU-resin and foam. I learned so much here about mold making, resin etc. Special thanks to Husky :worship: . He gave me so much info, tips and hints without i would have wasted mony and time. but by reading the other posts here it's impossibel to not learn something or get inspired!!

I’ll try to share my poor knowlege as good as i can, but compared to some other TU members i’m still more than a rooky.

Hope that i can give the comunity something back one day

My name is Mark. I'm 60 years old, and have worked in construction my whole life. I started out as a laborer, became a carpenter, and now I'm a residential contractor with my own business.

I have been making wooden swimbaits for six months, ever since I broke my friend's 10" Pupfish. I cast it too far, it landed on a mud bank, and hit the only hard thing on it, a beer bottle. Poetic justice.

Anyway, I decided I could carve a replacement, and it's taken off from there.

This site has been a huge help in figuring out how to get started, and how to do things.

Glad you're here Mark! Every lure-builder here brings something to this arena that keeps all of us here improving our methods for tackling problems, or refining techniques. With your background, you will no doubt do this too as you continue on your luremaking path. After all, there's just no going back to your previous life once you've begun...I assume someone here informed you of this?

Glad to have you sharing here!

Dean

My name is Curtis, I live in Oklahoma City Oklahoma. I started last year spendind money on lure making and setting up a work area. I painted a few plastic bodies last year and started carving this year. I like to tournament fish so during the spring and summer I fish more than I make. I have learned that there is more to a lure than just opening a package and tying it on the end of a line. I do my best to share what I have learned when I am online. There are several of the old dogs that answer the questions no matter how many times the question has been asked before and that is what makes this a great site.

I don't have my computer hooked up at home right now so I get on line when I'm at work. I'm an industrial Maintenance Tech and have the Jack of all trade skill sets. I do electrical and mechanical, fabrication, welding, hydraulics and pneumatics.

I was raised in Florida, my Dad owned a bait and tackle bussiness, so I love to fish. I love hunting as well and thats where I've been the last month.

Please remember that when a question is asked it makes you think, when you think you create.. so even thoes who are on the take are in fact giving by making us think.

I'm Bob, 44, married with 2 kids. One is At Temple U right now, the other in middle school. I didn't even really start to fish until 2 years ago. (Saltwater mostly) My Dad made tackle and sold it to 6-8 shops at the beach. He passed away last Dec. and as of March, I decided to take over his business not knowing ANYTHING about it lol. I search the net for weeks to learn how to dye/tie buck tails, powder coating, knots and all that fun stuff. I did save about 1/2 dozen of all the rigs he made for "patterns". Sure wish I would have started this years ago. I hope to have 5 of his shops next summer, and a web site.

Hi. My name is Andy. I'm 45 (as of Dec.5). I have been lure making for about 3 weeks and I'm working on my 2nd crankbait now. I was told about this site by Tigger (John).

In fact, I blame John for getting me interested in lure making. He took me out on his boat on Lake Erie for my first experience with night time walleye fishing. I reeled in a 11.2 lb and a 10.6 lb walleye on a crankbait John had made. While the experience was exciting for me I could also imagine how fulfilling it was for John. Right there and then I decided to give it a try.

The information on this sire is incredible. Thanks to all. I will try and contribute to this site when I can.

Hey guys, Jim from over on the soft plastics side!! Great thread and read! I have been on TU for a while now and have learned everything I know from TU members.

I will say one thing. Every idea is a good one (short of some of the dangerous things I see) and some will spark another idea in a member and it goes on to greatness. New or "old" part of the deal with this forum is to share and learn.

It amazes me how new ideas come out all the time and I wonder how in the world I could have not thought of the idea!

Good, bad or otherwise, I try to post up things that I am learning and many times a great idea is spawned!

I have also found that what comes around does go around. I have been fortunate to have learned a few things in the years I have been pouring and have passed some knowledge along. Now, many of the "students" are becoming the masters and giving me ideas back!!

I have "borrrowed" a few hard bait ideas in the past so wanted to say thanks to all that have posted!

Jim

PS I am 43, live in South Georgia and loving that I am giving those West Coast boyz a run for their $$$ in hand poured soft plastics!!!! :-)

Guess it's my turn. I'm David, live in Lexington, KY, 62 yro, retired fire captain/paramedic (30 yrs. service. Been fishing as long as I can remember. Got started in making baits the same as a lot of folks here, making spinnerbaits, jigs, tying flies. Even took stab at crankbaits back in the 70's, but there was noone to get advice from then and just couldn't get it right enough to suit me.

Anyway, glad to be on here and would like to give thanks to all the guys that have given me so much help in past 2 - 3 weeks on my plastics and wood bait. Amazing that there is a place like this where a guy can go to find anything he ever wanted to know about making a certain bait.

Thanks all

David

Les Weimer here, Just downriver (the Ohio) from terrydabassman in Marietta, Ohio. I have two sons from different mums, one is 31 and the other is almost two. I was an avid tournament chaser for about 15 years and just kinda faded away. I have worked at the same plastics plant for 27 years (I'm 48) and just last week we found out shes shutting down.

One door closes and another opens!

I have been making lures for a long time but only lately, with the help of

tu have I made lures that really catch fish. I can not thank you all enough!!!! I have never posted a picture of my baits however that is about to change.... I have high speed internet and a digital camera... Yea !!!! My biggest problem with making lures is that I don't get enough time to work them all to the best of their abilities, the few times I get out anymore I'm using the old faithfuls and not giveing the new one a try, other then tuning and trying.

Anyway love the site, and I hope to contribute an idea that I am working on soon.

Hey Guys, My name is Paul and could fish 365 days of the year if I could. I am from Pa. I am a tournamant bass fisherman. I run a 2004 Skeeter 190 TZX. I came accross TU in a issue of FLW. I have been trying to pain my own hard baits for some years. "about 7 years ago" Well, I painted some good ones but couldn't get that right look. Well did some research and found that some people epoxied there baits after painted them. God, did that help me out. I have serval baits that look so good. I have tryed to post them but I am not doing something right. They will not come up on the site.

I will give a tip to everone that likes to fish with sweet beavers, I like to use a football style jig head and take some spinerbait skirt strands and just tie them to the jig head then put my beaver on. This helped me out diring the summer time. If someone would like to help me post a pic of what I am talking about email me so I can show everone. Thanks TU

www.jimfenbeam@aol.com

Hey Guys, My name is Paul and could fish 365 days of the year if I could. I am from Pa. I am a tournamant bass fisherman. I run a 2004 Skeeter 190 TZX. I came accross TU in a issue of FLW. I have been trying to pain my own hard baits for some years. "about 7 years ago" Well, I painted some good ones but couldn't get that right look. Well did some research and found that some people epoxied there baits after painted them. God, did that help me out. I have serval baits that look so good. I have tryed to post them but I am not doing something right. They will not come up on the site.

I will give a tip to everone that likes to fish with sweet beavers, I like to use a football style jig head and take some spinerbait skirt strands and just tie them to the jig head then put my beaver on. This helped me out diring the summer time. If someone would like to help me post a pic of what I am talking about email me so I can show everone. Thanks TU

www.jimfenbeam@aol.com

Hello, im Aaron..

I got into lure making about a year ago and i blame all of you for getting me hooked on it!! :D just kidding. Im 27, engaged and have a 5 year old son. I recently moved to St. Charles MO and mostly fish Coffeen Lake in IL, where im from. I mostly build jigs, spinnerbaits, lipless cranks and a few cranks....havent quit got the cranks down yet.

Hi Guys,

I've been making my own baits for over 50 years. Learned from my great-grandfather, who lived with us when I was little. Only things he did was fish and hunt (And talk about fishing & hunting.) Have been accumulating equipment and lure parts etc. ever since. Do it for the challenge and the thrill of catching a fish on something I made. I fish bass tournaments in the midwest. Have even won 1 or 2. I have a little experience with most everything associated with fishing, tying trout flies, making/repairing fishing rods, reel cleaning & repairs, Jig,spinnerbait, buzzbait making, crankbaits, both balsa & basswood, mostly thru wire balsa. Hopefully I have given some, have taken a lot. Been on this site for a couple of years now. Speeds up the learning curve tremendously. Enough for now.

Cool thread, I didn't realize how many people from all over the world check out TU. My name is Glenn and I'm from Whitby, Ontario, just east of Toronto. Hi Mark, sounds like your from my neck of the woods. I have been making my own baits and Ice fishing equipment for as long as I can remember. About a year ago I needed something to do in the winter so I started to do reaserch on making soft plastic baits. The 1st good sorce of info was Dels site. Del, thanks for all the great advise and info. I then found TU and thought I hit the mother load. I have learned so much from the members here its not funny and I've even managed to post a few tips of my own. Thank-you TU and thanks to all you guys who take the time to contribute to this form.

I just spent the last 45 minutes reading everyone's post, really cool! It's great to see such a good cross-section of folks from around the world! Wow!

Well, I am 45, live in eastern Oregon, and make my living as a fisheries habitat biologist. I have spent my entire life fishing for salmon, steelhead, and various other species. Like many others, I started tying flies but also dabbled with building floats for a period of time.

I think I have been on TU about as long as anyone here and to this day I still enjoy it! I also enjoy helping people here but will be the first to admit that much of what I have learned over the years was shared with me by others with more experience. I will also admit that there is much more for me to learn and I am always looking for something "new". I still can't consistently cut a square slot for a crank bait bill to save my life, lol.

About four years ago I started Bikini Bait Company (still have the day job) and began selling custom made musky gliders. The business has been very successful and despite building hundreds of lures each year I still very much enjoy it.

Thank you to all of those that have helped me over the years.

kind regards,

Jed V.

Great thread, great to see all the input from the new guys as well as the old.

I am 58 years old and started in this crazy hobby years ago. As a kid I tied flies and made spinners and really enjoyed it. When I first began making wooden baits there was no internet, or anyplace for that matter to learn how to do this so I did alot of experimenting, copying and reading on my own, trial and error. Since I became a member here a couple of years ago I have learned more in that short period of time than I did in all the years previous. This is a great site and try and contribute as much as I can. I really appreciate all I have learned here and want to thank all that have helped me out. There is some awesome talent here, amazing actually.

I am a Musky fisherman 1st, but I do love the early smallmouth season and dabble with walleye. I do have a small side business with my son called "Iva Biggen Bait Company" that we started a few years ago and it has been fun. Not trying to get rich, just keeping it fun. We build Musky, bass and walleye baits, several hundred each year and sell them locally and on the internet.

Rod