blackjack

TU Etiquette Takers Vs. Givers

My name is Lee. I'm 41 married and have 2 kids 25 and 18. I'm a Senior Technical Consultant for an insurance software manufacture. I have been dabbling in crankbaits and Jigs for about 1 1/2 now. I use what I make to fish local open tournaments and help my friends with skirt colors that they can't buy anymore. This site has been a great place to learn many new and different things. It seems like most of the things that I learned on my own and thought were good ideas turned out to be good ideas because I have read about most of them here. I guess great minds think alike. Either that or some of you guys are in big trouble for thinking like I do (LOL).

Here it goes, my name is Jeremy (everyboby here calls me Jay) I'm 33, born and bred in Choccolocco, Alabama. My grandfather introduced me to fishin when I was about 3 years old and I've been "hooked" ever since. I made my first lure when I was around 8 or 9, (Tied a knot in some yarn and stuck a hook in it), and I just can't seem to stop. lol. Got a little more serious a year or two ago and started making cranks ( a bit harder than some rope and a hook) I hope on day to make some money selling 'em but I just keep giving 'em away. Maybe one day will have a real business doing this, but as for now I'm just a lure junkie with an expensive habit. As far as "giving back", after seeing the stuff on this site, I'm reminded of how much of an amatuer I am. But maybe, just maybe one day, someone will want to know how to catch carp on instant oatmeal.:teef: Thanks again to all yall who have helped me and to those who are more than willing to share their knowledge and wisdom so freely.:yay::yay:

Jay

Hello everyone. My name is Rodney and I live in Indian Trail NC. Just reading through these posts. I guess I need to ring in and say thank you to everyone for all the knowledge that has been lent to each of us. I noticed that "The Rookie" is from Concord NC! I wonder how many times we've crossed paths at Bass Pro in Concord. My wife says they need to set up a cot for me in the back. Anyway, I'm 35 years old and a European cabinet builder. Been doing it now since I was about 14; long story! I'm married with two stepchildren ages 23 and 20! Yeah I love older women!! You do the math. My wife actually got me hooked about 5 years ago. Her father is an avid fisherman and once I started I never looked back. She has always been my tournament partner and apparently was as frustrated as myself about losing every single tournament we fished. She bought me an airbrush about three years ago. I picked up the brush and we started winning. I have no where near the experience or expertise that is offered on this site. The fish on our local waters just needed to see something different. A friend at work saw some of the lures I was painting and turned me on to this site. I add what little knowledge that I can but I will probably always be known as one of the takers. I just wanted to express how greatful that I am, that there is a website dedicated to what we love. It's hard to imagine how many years of experience are on these pages. Thank You to all and for now, I'm just a sponge!

Got to thinking and just wanted to add something. I have learned a lot from all of TU's members. There is however one member whose work has always made me strive for something better. The first visit I made to TU I noticed the work of one very gifted member in particular. His member name is Kellure. I haven't seen him post that often lately. From what I understand, he owns CLU lures. The work is amazing and I believe that anyone new to the forum should take a look at Custom Lures Unlimited! Before anyone gets their feathers ruffled, I see amazing work from dozens of our members. I just wanted to throw a little credit towards the member that makes me want to learn more.

damn.....read this for a couple days at first and it seemed like it would just turn into a rant...........totally opposite from what it is.

little about me. My name's CJ. I'm 27. Paramedic, south jersey. I fish mostly for largemouth, smallmouth, and stripers when I can make it to the shore. Many other species are targeted as a second option when the preferred ones don't cooperate.

Found TU by a google search, joined, and the plan of hopefully being able to make a few bucks pouting spinnerbaits and jigs started rolling down the mountain and picking up more and more snow as it went. But I have fun and it keeps me sane, especially this time of year. What I do now is pour spinnerbaits, jigs and blade baits, repaint hard baits, and attempt to carve some wood. Recently for some reason all the sudden my baits are starting to run right even. Also just started tying jigs, and as long as its' a pretty simple pattern it's working out pretty well. Just to brag a little, I even caught like 40 crappie on one I tied the other day.

This hobby, if you want to call it that, is so much fun. I've met a few good new people locally because of it when they wanted to buy something. Also see a lot of members from here on other sites I belong to.

I like to think I can offer some good advice when it's asked, and I try to post stuff in the forums to help out, but my short experience doesn't come close to the knowledge of so many of the guys on here. I've definitely taken more than I've given, but I like to think I'm starting to catch up and be able to actually contribute.

Hi all, my name is Bruce and I have had the disease of fishing pox my entire life. I feel it all started when I was little more than 2 months old being carried down to the Florida Keys by my Mom and Dad for our summer vacations. I was born and raised in Ft. Myers, Florida which is what you would call South West Florida. I had access to lots of Fresh and Saltwater fishing (I do tend to favor more salt than fresh these days)

Got to thinking and just wanted to add something. I have learned a lot from all of TU's members. There is however one member whose work has always made me strive for something better. The first visit I made to TU I noticed the work of one very gifted member in particular. His member name is Kellure. I haven't seen him post that often lately. From what I understand, he owns CLU lures. The work is amazing and I believe that anyone new to the forum should take a look at Custom Lures Unlimited! Before anyone gets their feathers ruffled, I see amazing work from dozens of our members. I just wanted to throw a little credit towards the member that makes me want to learn more.

I'll go with you on this one....man I love this lure , it's outstanding

http://www.tackleunderground.com/photos/index.php?n=946

love at first sight , am I pretty enough for it? :teef:

Hi folks,

I might be one of the newest members as I just registered about 5 minutes ago. I found this site about a week ago in my search for information on lure painting. My name is John, and I live in Wyoming. I am 57 years old, still employed (as opposed to being retired) and fish every chance I get. My position is a Senior Purchasing Agent for a Trona mine and I run a small bath tub refinishing business on the side. I am not so much interested in making lures as I am in repainting them. I have been doing this(repainting) for about 6 months as my time allows. I have learned in that 6 months that I am not very artistic and although I do use an airbrush in repairing bath tub chips, I don't handle one with enough ability to make a lure look realistic. I am getting better though. My hope from this group of people, is to enhance my abilities through information learned in all the past and future posts.

Although I don't have a lot to share with most of you because of my freshman status in painting, I will tell you that I use 2 part epoxy airplane primer on my lures and finish with a 2 part epoxy clear. Both of these paints are used in my bathtub business and are 24 hour cure. They work well when combined with taxidermy paint. I have seen some really killer Rainbow Trout lures on this site todate.....you guys are awesome. Big Brown Trout love Rainbows.

Be cool

jbt

Hi folks,

I might be one of the newest members as I just registered about 5 minutes ago. I found this site about a week ago in my search for information on lure painting. My name is John, and I live in Wyoming. I am 57 years old, still employed (as opposed to being retired) and fish every chance I get. My position is a Senior Purchasing Agent for a Trona mine and I run a small bath tub refinishing business on the side. I am not so much interested in making lures as I am in repainting them. I have been doing this(repainting) for about 6 months as my time allows. I have learned in that 6 months that I am not very artistic and although I do use an airbrush in repairing bath tub chips, I don't handle one with enough ability to make a lure look realistic. I am getting better though. My hope from this group of people, is to enhance my abilities through information learned in all the past and future posts.

Although I don't have a lot to share with most of you because of my freshman status in painting, I will tell you that I use 2 part epoxy airplane primer on my lures and finish with a 2 part epoxy clear. Both of these paints are used in my bathtub business and are 24 hour cure. They work well when combined with taxidermy paint. I have seen some really killer Rainbow Trout lures on this site todate.....you guys are awesome. Big Brown Trout love Rainbows.

Be cool

jbt

I'm Willie, I'm fifteen years old and I live in Wilmette Illinois (just north of Chicago). I have only been making the bodies of lure for two months now and can't wait to start painting. I'd love to share things I knew about lure making, except everyone here is more learned than me! If anyone needs aquarium advice, pm me! Fishing wise, I target mostly largies and the esox family. I am looking forward to ice out (long ways to go...) to try out some of my lures!

good to meet you all,

Kribman

I'm Mike, 31 years old and have been fishing since I could remember. I live in Springfield, MO and mostly bass fish. Started pour my own jigs 10 years ago but just started to paint them in the last year. Found TU on google and joined. Now I am hooked. I have made a fluid bed, working on lure dryer and will start to air brush cranks soon. The one tip that I would give anyone is check out your local dollar store. I got a 100ft roll of tulley for fish scales when painted for a buck. Great site

Hey folks.My name is Ricky and I am from the land of no water or so its said.(Georgia)LOL,I am an electrician a union one at that,"they say its a dying breed"I started out trying to start a custom fishing rod business did that for about 4 years built quite a few fishing rods.Prices went up on shipping and material and no one wanted to pay over $200.00 dollars for a rod anymore.Decided to get into crankbait business,I can tell you 10,000 ways how not to make them.Finally got dozen or so profiles to run right and bought the equipment to paint and finish.That has been going on for the past 3 years.I am getting old now.I am 40 years old and love to make things with my hands and love to fish.I got serious about it and decided to learn 3d cad design spent about a year learning that and purchased a cnc bench top mill.Started cutting my baits out of balsa and had pretty good results.I am looking to gain knowledge in foam baits, all I can say about you guys, you are all awesome I have learned so much in one night reading the past reviews and if there is any way I can help anyone with my little bit of knowledge I will for sure be willing to share.Thanks to all of you.

Hi guys my name is Chris. I live in Spartanburg SC and I am 43 years old. I got into lure making when a few years ago I met a very elderly man who made crank baits. He invited me to his house and showed me how he did everything. He had been making baits for over 30 years. I bought some of his baits and they catch fish. I now have put them up for safe keeping since he has now passed away. I started making baits but never copied his designs. My 12 year old son caught a 5lber last summer on one of my baits. Best feeling ever. I'm no pro I just tinker mostly with flat cranks and repaints.

Hey all,

I've been a member here for a little while now, just haven't had time to do much in the way of luremaking.

I live in South Central Missouri way out in the sticks. I own and operate a t-shirt, garment printing business which is located on the family farm, which I also help to maintain. I also custom craft handmade knives, all of which is soon to be included in my business.

I also Pastor a small Freewill Baptist church locally.

I started making bucktail jigs and also a couple of years ago started pouring plastics. I intend to start selling all my lures in my shop this spring as well.

I fish mostly on Bull Shoals lake when I get time to fish. I hope to have more time to fish more this year.

I sure hope to be more of a giver than a taker on this site but there are much more talented people on here than me.

Thanks for such a wonderful site.

Craig

Missed this thread. Dont sure the hardbait board much.

I'm George. Just north of 50 and have been fish'n since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Have a 13 year old boy and a wife of almost 20 years.

Started fishing trout in upstate PA, then because Pops was a lifer in the Army, fished all around the US for anything to put on the table, and parts of Europe and South/Central America.

Got big into salt water fishing on the left coats when I lived in CA for 20 years. Use to head out of Queenswharf for multiple day bottom dwelling fish and San Diego for a couple week tuna and yellow tail trips. Also spent way to much time hiking the High Sierra Mountain range in search for the illusion Golden trout. Back in those days I was mainly a live bait, fish for food type.

In the early '90s moved to the right coast to Virginia and was hooked by the illusive small mouth bass. For the first 8 years, fished trout baits on UL's for them, then got the taste for trophy smallies and upgraded rods reels and baits.

That's what got me tinkering w/ rods, started building them, then started thinking up baits that would work that I couldn't buy. Mostly, I tie rabbit and hair jigs, but also just started pouring all jigs for tubes and grubs on top end hooks. Just poured a bunch of spinnerbait heads and that'll be my winter project.

One of the river smallie buddies turned me onto this board and I must admit, one most 'fishing' boards, people are tight lipped and have a tendancy to not share and chastise those who do. TU is differnt. I have learned so much from the TU members in the past year and I'm astonished at the members williness to help others; especially bait building newbies like me.

I have no intentions of going into business, although I have turned down many orders recently for jigs. I spend to much time on the stuff I build for myself and buddies, that I can't justify selling it. I do barter some stuff though .... beer's always a good trade medium.

I'm also a home brewer - a noble hobby with vast rewards.

I know I'll never give back what I've taken from TU, but when given the opportunity, I try to post on topics I have humble opinions on.

Hello my name is Mike I am 30 have a wife and 3 kids. As you can thell from my screen name I'm a Marine, I have been to over 20 countries in the last 7 years and have been a marine for 10. I absoloutely love fishing and anything to do with it. This looks like a great site with some really cool people. I joined so I could learn how to pour my own swimbait and have found now I want to build my own everything lol. i mostly fish salt water in So. Cal but still do the fresh water thing too. I cant wait to start and fish my frist hand made baits/ lures as well as contribute to the site. Thanks, Mike

Hello, I am David. I am 47, married to a sweetheart of a wife for eighteen years and have two children 4 and 6. I have been a Custom Home Builder for 31 years now. I retired out of competetive pistol shooting in 1999, but still have a company Krunch Products Inc. that manufactures a grip enhancing product " Pro Grip" and a Magazine treatment " Mag Slick". I am an avid Muskie chaser on Lake St. Clair fishing the tournaments of the Michigan Ontario Muskie Club. I build Muskie size livewell, revival tanks for the tournament and club anglers alike. Modifying baits before having our local talent repaint led to me discovering this site and spending a lot of hours in the garage figuring out how to build my own jigs and lures. I love looking at everyone's work, ideas for paint schemes, and home brewed shop jigs etc. I read some recent posts on bill making and bill cuts and I am going to try to figure out how to post some pics of my jigsthat I hope someone might find useful. I appreciate all the information sharing everyone has done creating this wealth of information.

Hi folks,

I'm Mike Bromelow, owner/artist of muskysnax.com.

I've been making my own line of baits since 2005 but tinkered with bait making since I was 10. I try to answer any question that comes my way and really have no secrets when it comes to what I do. Many people have helped me along the way (Jed Volkman for one) and I enjoy doing the same for others.

This website is very humbling and just when you think you're getting good there's always someone pushing the envelope a little further than you! Thanks to those who share their secrets and to those who continue to fuel my own passion for learning.

A big shout out to John Hopkins for inspiring me to take my own baits to a whole new level with the use of microfibbets for fins and tails. :)

Well here goes ....My name is Jon Im from Dayton, Ohio Im very new to this whole thing I just started painting I got my airbrush for Christmas. Ive been lurking around in the background for awhile hear trying to learn.(and might I say WOW you guys now your stuff)Im sure in the future I will be needing lots of help so please if I ask something stupid please dont beat me up to bad.If you would like to know anything else please ask

Howdy all! I am Scott from Birchwood, Wisconsin (God's Country). I am 40 years old, 21 year veteran of the Air Force, retired this past summer and now I am a Veterans Service Officer. Love the job, but takes away from my true loves...fishing and hunting.

I was making plastic worm baits but got burnt out on that so now I am getting geared up to try my luck at repainting hard baits.

This site and the folks on the site are awesome! I try my best to help when I can but like all off us we learn something new everyday which makes this site all the more helpful.

All regional TU members should plan a gathering in summer...maybe a tourney and picnic...meet everyone face to face and have some fun fishing and exchanging baits.

My name is john franklin,I have been a member for a little while,49 years old in wisconsin,I have a cabin and a fishing rental in the cranberry bogs of warrens wi and spend all of the spring summer weekends there fishing for pike,bass and crappies,I have gained a wealth of knowledge in just a short time from this site,I have come up with many awsome big fish bait ideas and have put them to use,I also give lures that I have made to my fishing rental customers and to people at the lakes to try,its a blast,I have caught many bass over 8 pounds and one over 9 lbs on my own lures,I have not made many post but plan to share any info if i think I can help.Most of the time someone has already answered the quetion,I hate to repeat what someone else has already said but if I have a diff opinion ill chime in,thanks fro all your ideas and help.:)

Prochallenger, I just took the time to look at your baits, which were recently posted in the gallery. I really like them. I am impressed with your unique way of using the natural grain of the wood you've obviously carefully selected. That is a unique style in my opinion. I like your paint work and choice of colors too. Congratulations; that is one really sharp load of baits you posted.

Thanks fatfingers,That was my aproach,I love the wood grain and tried to incorporate it in the lures,I get wood scraps from a small lumber yard in northern wis and have a basement full of some real nice wood,thanks for commenting on them,its a hobby that I truly enjoy,john:)