wardsmit

old cd's for lip parts

I have used CD material for lips. I became an expert in removing the thin metal sheet that covers one side of the CD. Some info I read says that CDs are made out of polycarbonate. I was glad to hear that, so I tried the material.

My advice: forget about CDs as lip material. They brake easily.

I have used CD material for lips. I became an expert in removing the thin metal sheet that covers one side of the CD. Some info I read says that CDs are made out of polycarbonate. I was glad to hear that, so I tried the material.

My advice: forget about CDs as lip material. They break easily.

What he said. They have a "glass jaw". Circuit board, Poly C and SS are the way to go!

I have seen the shields made from Polycarbonate and from Cellulose Propionate.

-My choice is polycarbonate; easy to shape and strong and don't broke easily.

Propionate plate is also as good but more expensive and hard to found.

How do you remove the 'thin metal sheet' from these CD's? Pete

It is quite difficult for me to explain that, but I will try.

First, I cut the CD into 4,5 or 6 pieces. I take one piece, bend it in every possible way, until I see that in some places the thin metal sheet is no more glued to the CD. I put the blade of an x-acto knife under the metal sheet, press it with a finger, and remove that piece of metal sheet, little by little, and pressing the cutting edge of the blade to the line where the metal sheet meets the CD. The metal sheet would brake not where you would want to (as big a piece as possible), but it would become narrower an narrower. With some experience, you could "tell" the metal sheet where it should brake.

Repeat this process until you remove the whole metal sheet.

If, by mistake, you drop the metal sheet back to the CD, it would glue to the CD as if it would be magnetized, making you angry with that piece of metal sheet (or me ? :))

Thanks Rofish - like you say , it sounds pretty tedious, when I find a color I like, I might give it a go. pete

it is usable for the false lips from the other thread :lol: and for testing different lip types on a body shape before using a lip from a better material:twisted: