Bterrill

Chatter type blades

Hi, started making some Chatterbaits as the original has.. some problems. Most notably a crappy hook.

I ordered supplies form Barlowe's and have been knocking them out at a nice pace.

The baits seems to ride up more with Barlowe's thicker, rounded, unbent standard blades. It seems like it doesn't knock the head because of the O-ring and less vibration as I crank it in.

Question is, has anyone used these blades and how productive are they compared to the thinner bent originals?

Thanks in advance.

B

I use the Barlows Blades but I bend them and I also do not use a split ring. I get very strong vibes and I don't have a problem with them riding up or planing off. Maybe because of being bent, not sure. I will post a pic of it in the gallery under terminal tackle.

I use the Barlows Blades but I bend them and I also do not use a split ring. I get very strong vibes and I don't have a problem with them riding up or planing off. Maybe because of being bent, not sure. I will post a pic of it in the gallery under terminal tackle.

They seem difficult to bend what did you bend them with. Nice pic thanks.

Got plent of heads, thanks

They are very difficult to bend,They are made of .020 or .022 stainless depending on who you got them from. When I first started making these, I tried everything I could think of and finally made a tool to bend them with.

It consists of a pair of curved jaw vise grips, some JB weld and a piece of a door hinge. It works very well. If I can figure out how to post a pic in a thread, I will post it for you to see tomorrow after I get home from work.

They are very difficult to bend,They are made of .020 or .022 stainless depending on who you got them from. When I first started making these, I tried everything I could think of and finally made a tool to bend them with.

It consists of a pair of curved jaw vise grips, some JB weld and a piece of a door hinge. It works very well. If I can figure out how to post a pic in a thread, I will post it for you to see tomorrow after I get home from work.

That would be awesome, thanks!

Get a photobucket.com account and copy/paste the link between these here

IMGP1401.jpg

They seem difficult to bend what did you bend them with. Nice pic thanks.

Got plent of heads, thanks

There is a tool you can buy, that would easily bend them, since I'm in sheetmetal, naturally I have them. I'll post some pics. in a couple of days. Also you can make them out of thinner stainless like 26 ga. (.018 ) or 28 ga. (.015). Believe me even being that thin they are strong enough. I made some out of Alum., copper, and brass. Believe it or not they all act differently in water, than the stainless. The only problem with the other materials, is they can't take a lot of abuse like stainless steel does.

Hope this works. Hey thanks for the photo bucket tip. I never knew how add pics to a thread. The next few pics show you the tool and how to do it. It takes me two bends to make a nice curved blade. and you can change the severity of the bend up to a certain point by tightening the thumb screw on the back of the vise grips.

Cadman, sure am looking forward to seeing a pic of the tool you mentioned.

hope this helps. JohnP1010074.jpg

Jblaze, the vice grips, you glued that hinge piece in there to get uniform bend? Assume you are putting holo-strips on them after?

Nope, the real Chatterbait. Caught 2 20-20.5" on 11-20-07, my only two fish one right 3 casts later.

I hit three 20"+ smallies is smallish streams at the end of the year on chatters.

They catch big fish, and my buddy has pulled them from holes on chatter fishing after I fine tooth combed them. They do seem to be inconsistent. I like working them around wood.

Started making them to get around all the faults- cheaper.

Yes, to both questions. Apply your holo after bending otherwise the visegrips will skin it up. I have a nephew who river fishes the French Broad Rver here in Tennessee. He catches a lot of good smallmouth on these. I make a smaller version using a 1/4oz wedge head (snootie) and a spinner bait blade which I cut. It runs about 1to 2ft deep depending on retrieve speed. I have caught more fish on it than I have on the large one. Will post a pic of it if I can find one.

Hope this works. Hey thanks for the photo bucket tip. I never knew how add pics to a thread. The next few pics show you the tool and how to do it. It takes me two bends to make a nice curved blade. and you can change the severity of the bend up to a certain point by tightening the thumb screw on the back of the vise grips.

Cadman, sure am looking forward to seeing a pic of the tool you mentioned.

hope this helps. JohnP1010074.jpg

Can someone tell me how to post pics on photo bucket? I assume it doesn't take up the bandwith on TU correct? I can post pics here normally, but if I post 5 or six, then I don't want to use up the space here. Please PM me if you can help. I would like to post pics of the tools I use. BTW John, I like your idea. MY bends are more sharper, and don't have the radius. I have tried the original, and mine and I don't see the difference in the bent blade. The more you bend it the less resistance you have the less wobble. Also I built mine with and with out the split ring. Definitely, without a split ring the blade has a very strong vibration.

Ok, I'll try I just learned how to do this yesterday. I went to photobucket.com and opened an account. you will have to make a user name and a password. then if memory serves me right, it will create an account for you. It is free, no charges. after you have went through the steps and got your account, you will have a window on the right side of the page with three browse buttons which you will use to get three pics from your computer. If you want to get more pics, there is a button which says MORE. after you upload the pics, they will have four lines below each pic. I left clicked on the bottom line where it says img. A window flashes that says saved. I then go back to TU quick reply and right click paste. the image loads itself. But I am unable to add text so after I post quick reply and it pops up on the board I go back and hit the edit button and add text. I hope this isn't too confusing, It took me a while to figure it out.

Thanks for the compliment on the tool. Its a little crude but it works well.

By the way cadman, I think I made a couple of the Mini Swims using your tutorial on powder painting. I really appreciated getting that from you.

I continue to be amazed by the information that is freely shared here. this site has helped me a lot and like many others I am signed on to TU anytime I have a free moment. I fear I may have the addiction. Thanks again TU and members.

Ok, I'll try I just learned how to do this yesterday. I went to photobucket.com and opened an account. you will have to make a user name and a password. then if memory serves me right, it will create an account for you. It is free, no charges. after you have went through the steps and got your account, you will have a window on the right side of the page with three browse buttons which you will use to get three pics from your computer. If you want to get more pics, there is a button which says MORE. after you upload the pics, they will have four lines below each pic. I left clicked on the bottom line where it says img. A window flashes that says saved. I then go back to TU quick reply and right click paste. the image loads itself. But I am unable to add text so after I post quick reply and it pops up on the board I go back and hit the edit button and add text. I hope this isn't too confusing, It took me a while to figure it out.

Thanks for the compliment on the tool. Its a little crude but it works well.

By the way cadman, I think I made a couple of the Mini Swims using your tutorial on powder painting. I really appreciated getting that from you.

I continue to be amazed by the information that is freely shared here. this site has helped me a lot and like many others I am signed on to TU anytime I have a free moment. I fear I may have the addiction. Thanks again TU and members.

Thanks for all the help John, I will try this out, just give me a couple of days to figure all this out, as I'm very busy. As always I'm more than willing to help out if I can. That's how I learned, and with a lot of help from this site, and all the members, I believe my products are superior in quality and workmanship in my eyes. As far as an addiction goes, I'm way past the point of any help now. I wake up sometimes in the middle of the night, and I am thinking about different color schemes. I would get up and try them, but my wife would probably send me to the looney farm. As if I don't spend enough time doing this during normal hours.......Thanks again. Ted

Cadman,

Like John said, photpbucket is pretty good. The really cool thing about photobucket is the ease in post to TU. Just right click in the "DIRECT LINK" and it copies the location, when you come back to your TU post, do "SHIFT +INSERT" where you waht to post it.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/spike-a-pike/Musky%20Spinner/bucket1.jpg

I have been adding color to the font because the light grey is tough on my eyes.

Bruce