BruceKY

Drying wheel orientation & speed?

There have been a lot of questions about drying wheels in the past. I have two questions that I have not seen addressed in detail. First, what is the best orientation, horizontal vs vertical, to hold the lure while rotating? Second what is the best speed (RPM) to turn the lures?

I am currently using EnviroTex Light & turning muskie baits one at a time horizontally at three RPMs. I want to build a new wheel that will hold half a dozen 6-10

In either orientation, all the points on the bait get rotated through 360 degrees, so it doesn't matter. If I had a 3 rpm motor, I'd stick with it. Mine is 4 rpm and works fine. The only problem you might have is with very thin polyurethanes. Dick Nite is fairly thin. I let it drip on a piece of paper for a few seconds before attaching it to the wheel.

Would it cause the epoxy to be thinner at the nose and tail eyelet if you have your baits rolling instead of rotating end over end? (and I do understand how hard it is to balance a wheel with 8" to 14" Musky baits rotating end over end).

This is one of those topics that makes my head feel the way it does when I try to comprehend how big the Universe is.

Thanks for all the input!

I think I am going to stick with horizontal mostly for space. The reason I asked about the best RPM is that I picked up a rotisserie on closeout at Lowes. When I got home I found that it is one RPM. I think this is going to be too slow to keep Enirotex spread evenly. I am going to try rig it up with a 6:1 gearing to bring it up to speed, but am afraid it may not have enough torque.

Jim, I should have thought of McMaster Carr.

Model# 6142K3 looks like the ticket at 5RPM & 50in-lbs torque for $41.

Dean, I am right up the road from you in Versailles.

I will post a pictur when/if I get it done.

I've read a lot of posts on this subject and always the power or torque is questioned. I am not convinced that this is an issue. Check this article out, about the Falkirk wheel.

http://www.falkirk-wheel.com/faq-s-on-the-falkirk-wheel/how-much-power-is-required-to-turn-the-w.html

An eight storey high boat lift, driven by 22.5Kw!!!!

Also, it may be worth testing the wheel out at 1rpm before going to the trouble and expence of modification. I know at least one other member with the same speed and he said that it worked fine.

I don't think anyone has really tested this rotation speed thing objectively. Many have said that a particular speed works, but no one has ever said that another speed definately does not work. If anyone has tried speeds and proved that it is too slow or too fast, now is the time to speak up.

Bruce I've been told repeatedly, to the extent that it has become common knowledge over the years here on TU that the Wal-Mart motors were 4 rpm...also to the extent that I no longer remember if it actually said so when I bought the kit...I think it was listed as a 4 rpm rotisserie, but, well...I'm 54. I know some of you can relate. Crap! and Duh! I'll measure it!:teef:

:DWell there you go...One, that is 1.0 revolution per minute. Exactly, precisely 1 rpm.

1 rpm works great for Envirotex Lite, and also Devcon, so this is established. So Bruce, you are fine!!

Who else has measured an rpm at which E-tex and other slow curing topcoats will also level correctly??

Thanks V-man for pushing this particular rock off of the ledge!

Dean

I have heard all the controversy also on wheel speeds and I figgered I may as well put in my 2 cents. I started with a rotisserie motor from Lowes ( which I did not get for 20 bucks ) and it turned exactly as far as I could tell 6 rpm's. It did'nt last to long :angry: so my partner came up with a scrunger motor ( used for taking particles out of machine oil...or something like that on CNC's ) it turns approx. 7-8 rpms and I've had no problem with it for over a year now. One big plus is it is so quiet you cant hardly hear it run. :yay: I feel as long as its not too fast and isnt sending all the clear to one end ( I rotate vertically....well my baits do ) it will work fine.:twocents:

Please dont ask name or model # cause it does'nt have any markings at all.

I'm rotating with this machine:) . Exactly 1 rpm. Mostly I mount baits in horizontal position, but I have an option to go to almost full range between horizontal and vertical (it depends on the bait's lenght). Cannot comment on Devcon, because I use exclusively E-tex Light. No complains

file.php?n=1539&w=l