Fishnut1

Devcon Brush

A lot of guys use throwaway brushes, like cheap kids craft brushes as long as they don't shed bristles. I like a little stiffer brush, usually somethin with white nylon bristles. If you're gonna be cleaning them, keep a small bottle of acetone and dip the brush in. Swirl it around to work the acetone in. You'll be able to tell when it's long enough. Make sure you dry it off and change the acetone once in a while, the devcon stays in solution and will eventually harden the brush.

:worship: I always have to bow to Dean when I follow one of his posts :worship:

I am a "keep it simple" kinda guy..... I buy the throw away brushes at Hobby Lobby... I think it it like 144 brushes for $3.99.... or something like that..... As accident prone as I am, I would be spilling acetone, alcohol, mineral spirits, etc all over the lab.........

Good luck..........:)

BJ

Part of the answer may be a question of scale.

If you're building a lot of baits, say 50 to 100 or more a year, acid brushes actually become economical if bought in gross (144 at a time). They wind up costing about 12 to 14 cents a piece. I crimp the bristles with a pair of pliers to prevent any stray hairs from getting in the finish and pull any loose hairs after fanning the bristles with my thumb. Fanning the bristles of any type of brush is always a good idea because it purges the dust from the brush and dust particles will detract from the appearance any final clear coat finish (Devcon or Envirotex). Crimping the bristles and fanning the bristles takes about 30 seconds and ensures a great, clean finish every time.

Muskyshots055.jpg

Muskyshots054.jpg

I also recycle my acid brushes now by making rattles tubes from the metal handles. Just cut off a slice of the handle, plug the ends by gluing in a thin slice of an ordinary #2 pencil and insert 2 or 3 bb's. The rattles are very similar to glass rattles as far as sound emitted and you can cut them to whatever length you need for the bait you're making.

I've used the same cheap $7 set of brushes from Michaels for 2 yrs now and they're still going strong after 200 baits or so. They're the flat square tipped blender brushes in several sizes and they work great on bass baits, just the right stiffness to apply Devcon. I clean them vigorously in acetone or denatured alcohol, spreading the bristles out on the bottom of the jar, then vigorously dry them on an old cotton (not paper) towel until the bristles are separate and dry. Takes one minute. I'm sure I can use them for a few more years and a few hundred more baits. Pretty cheap.