bassky

Balsa wood ultra smooth...

7 posts in this topic

Hey Dave, I use some sort of sealer and sand between coats. Usually takes couple of coats depending what you use to seal.

David

steel wool works for me. I have found that how the grain of the wood lays often accounts for rough spots. these just need a bit more work with the steel wool. hope this helps.

Dave??? Okay, Dave #2,

After you get them sealed, do you use progressively finer sand paper? What is the typical progression?

Bruce

Dave??? Okay, Dave #2,

After you get them sealed, do you use progressively finer sand paper? What is the typical progression?

Bruce

Yeah, I use finer and finer. Usually start with 220 and progress up to 400 or to the real fine steel wool. Depends on how smooth I want it and how much nap is raised each time I seal it. Haven't used 2t on one yet, but plan to on next balsa baits. Think this may eliminate a lot of steps. Hope this helps.

David

It gets pretty smooth with 400 grit. Some use a thick waterproofing coat to get it even smoother. Epoxy cut 50% with acetone works fine but might require sanding afterwards to get rough areas where the solution was totally soaked into the bait. Propionate disolved in acetone is a great for multiple dipping and dried very quickly. 6-8 dips makes balsa as smooth as silk. Both methods reinforce the wood, too.

I seal with super glue two coats, sanding in between the coats. Then 2 dips in polyurathane, baits are smooth.