JBlaze

Old Spinnerbait, anyone ever saw it before?

A

couple of months ago my wife and I were prowling in a store called "Habitat For Humanity". While she was looking at house goodies and things I went to their back junk room which has things that interest me. I found an old metal tackle box there. It was empty except for this spinnerbait. They sold it to me for 25¢. I have never seen anything like it. It is old enough that the barb has rusted off the hook. I think it is handmade and if so the person did an awfully good job with his wraps, twists and keeping everything symetrical.

I wondered if it landed upside down, would it snag the bottom. Answer is NO. Doesn't matter how it lands in the water, it always uprights itselfI.

PC120032.jpg

PC120029.jpg

PC120030.jpg

PC120031.jpg

Yes it does, I have made a couple of them, they work but are not even close to the workmanship that this one has. I gave them to a friend who is a fan of another SB that I make. it is my own invention. If you would like to see it, its pic is in the blade baits photo gallery its called a Pivot Point Spinnerbait.

Secret Weapon Lures recently released another SB system that uses this configuration of the blades. Me being a young whipper-snapper I thought it was interesting until one of the older guys where I fish told me that is how they all used to be made (not capable of pivoting mind you, but parallel vs. tandem blades)

Funny, I guess what's old is new again

The First I knew of this type was the good old "Shannon Twin Spinner" Fact the first Bass I ever saw caught on an artifical was with this lure ..

Solid Black Bucktail with a White Strip of Uncle Josh Pork Rind. I caught a lot of fish on this Bait ... The "Bushwhacker" was a much improved lure.

Hard to find something that is entirely new. (Note the Shannon was great in colder weather by "Crawling" it along the bottom.)

JSC

JSC, thanks for identifying the spinnerbait. I thought it was a homemade lure. I found one on Ebay afew minutes ago. I also took a stab at making another one today, it looks a little better than the first two. I am anxious to take it to the lake. Those bends and wraps are hard to do. I can see how it would be a good bottom crawler. I will post a pic of my effort in a few minutes.

John

Thanks JSC, I had to make a gadget to do the uniform wire wraps on the blade wire. That was a tough one to figure out. Also one for doing the wrap at the bottom of the triangle. If anyone would like to try making this thing, I'll post a pic of the gadgets used.

John

Thanx for the illustrations .. I copied them and will give them a good going over first chance I get. I even have one of those good OLD AMENT molds. That was one of his standard cast models. He could really make a perscision mold ... He did all my custom stuff as well as a lot of big time mfgs. We lost a good one when he passed away.

JSC

JBlaze,

Great pic tutorial of the wire bending. Funny how different people find different solutions for the same problem. I formed a couple of these spinnerbait frames to try, and this is the method I used. Here's a quick way to form the bends on the 'vee' part of frame. It's fairly simple, so I'll try to describe it without pics.

Step 1) Bend an approx 8" piece of wire into a tight 'vee' shape. The point of the vee will be the line tie.

Step 2) Bend a 45* angle in both legs of the vee, about 1/4" from the point.

Step 3) You need a simple "forming mandrel" made of a piece of wire for this part. Take a piece of wire (or a finishing nail or similar) slightly larger in diam than the wire you're using, and place it crosswise inside the 45* angle. Grab the mandrel and wire with a pair of needlenose pliers so that the mandrel is crosswise in the jaws, and the wire legs of the vee stick out forward of the jaws.

Step 4) Last step. By hand, bend the legs of the vee twice around the mandrel. Keeping the wraps tight is easy, but like everything else in life, one or two practice wraps using softer/thinner wire makes everything easier.

Connect the blade wire vee form to the spinnerbait jighead by bending a "Y" yoke in the jighead wire. That part is done freehand and is fairly straight-forward, so I'll let you figure out your preferred method there.

Here are some reference pics in the wirebaits gallery:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/photos/index.php?n=1613

http://www.tackleunderground.com/photos/index.php?n=1611

Hope this helps, good luck!