jmullok

Another Fluid Bed Question

First off, this is an unbelievable site and resource for us just getting into this addictive hobby. Thank you.

Second, I have a question on building a fluid bed. I am making a 3" fluid bed. I have purchased the PVC, air pump, lines... My question is what are you all using to attach the air line to the bed itself? I have seen numerous pitcures of different beds and they all look like brass fittings. I have searched everywhere for them or something similar with no luck. I am assuming as I walk the isles of the hardware store I am looking in the wrong sections. Any help would be appreciated.

Third, I just finished my first crank tonight (thanks to you all and this site) and I will post some pics later. ( I paint like a 3 year old :lol: ) Again thanks for this site!!

Jason if you didn't bake them in a toaster oven, you can dip the spoons in acetone, or paint stripper, and it shoul come of pretty esy. However, I don't think I would eat with those anymore.:nono: It's just the principal of the fact that you are going to put those spoons in your mouth. If you baked the paint on, you can use the same process, except you may have to leave it in the acetone a little longer, or apply several coats of paint stripper. I always tell anyone that wants to learn how to apply powder paint, is to use stove bolts, round head screws, or hex head bolts. The steel bolts are pretty cheap, and you can throw them away when you're done. If you really want to get fancy, you can practice on sheet metal or aluminum. I was bored one day:yawn: , and I was tired of trying to figure out what valve was for hot water, and which one was for cold water. So I took the valve handles off, and powder painted the hot one red, and the cold one blue. Actually they came out really nice after I baked them. Now I don't have to guess which one is which for the wash machine. So many things you can do with powder paint.

I built 2 but have not used them yet. I got a large compression fitting(2"), cut it in 2 and epoxied it to a piece of plexi. The fittings were from the plumbing section of home depot, easy to find right next to the tubing. I did have to spin the nut part on the lathe to make a groove for the 2" coupler mounted on top to keep the diameter the same throughout and then epoxied to the nut also. I wanted to try end make it easy to change membrane materials if needed and eliminate leaks. fa1.jpg

Right now I am using a paper bag. I'm not getting the simmering effect as seen in the professional models, but it's letting air through evenly enough that I can still shake the cup and get a water like effect.

I've seen posts that other people are using common items like coffee filters and allergenic pillow cases. Some are ordering quality membranes, I'm not sure from where.

Good luck, let us know what works for you.

The pvc lids are called test caps. They are used in abs plumbing (drain pipe in your house). When the house is plumbed the caps are glued to the end of the pipe then air presher is added if there is any loss in presher the find the leak with sope. They work good and have a little handle on them. ask for abs test cap.