bassinjody

paint problems

Hi

Cant really understand why you used addatives instead of good old H2O :?

I use createx along with auto cellulose paints and just thin with water (the createx that is)and then to speed up drying just flash with a hair dryer. I suspect your problem lies with the thinners you have used but I'm no chemist so I'm only guessing but I would try with water as your thinner..

philB

OK, Createx should not be tacky at any point in it's drying process. If you mean it's still just wet, wash off the paint with water and a scrub brush and paint them again using only water to thin the paint slightly.

You said epoxy them again. Did you topcoat them with epoxy or just seal then paint over them? If you just sealed them and painted over it, the epoxy may not have cured before you painted. If it's the topcoat that's tacky, you didn't mix the epoxy well enough. Just mix up another batch of epoxy and make sure you mix it fully. Mix for at least a minute to be sure. Then just apply over the other coat, it'll make the first coat cure along with the second.

Jody, it's not clear whether you're having problems with the paint or the epoxy clearcoat. If the clearcoat never got hard, you can just recoat it with more epoxy (properly measured and mixed this time) and the new coat will fix the sticky one 99% of the time. If it's the Createx, wash it off and start over again. Some Createx colors always feel a bit tacky to me even when I know they are dry (this is unadulterated, straight from the bottle Createx). I'm guessing that's the flow enhancer they put in it. I just ignore it and clearcoat it, and haven't had any problem.

let me see if i can explane this mess, first i sealed the baits, second i put devcon let it dry or two to three days and yes it was dry third painted with createx with a little windex for a little extra lube, i use a ten dollar air brush it just think it helps a little bit, instead of water i use windex never had this problem before. tryed using the hair dryer still very tacky. i t was going to be a base coat for a crackling affect. hope this some stuff up. thanks

If you normally run this procedure and it worked fine before, then you must have done something different this time. Maybe a new paint, different bottle of windex a different amount. Something different, otherwise you are snookered!

After cleaning off the lure, lay a couple of paint strokes down just to test. Use the hair dryer and it should be dry in a couple of minutes. If not, leave out the windex, the concensus is that it is not necessary.

Please post your findings, good luck.