Kid

Splitting lipless crankbaits

Hi everyone,

Just got registered on the site. I've been impressed with the wealth of knowledge on this site. I've always been a tinkerer, and I'm always looking for ways to modify my bass baits to have something different or improve something. Hope to contribute a few ideas where I can, but thought I'd post up a question if anybody can help.

Latest project that I'm tinkering with is modifying some old Rattletraps. I want to split them, and replace the BBs with one chunk of lead, similar to the old Cotton Cordell One-Knocker Spots. I've only been able to split one bait so far, and looking for an easier and safer way to do it. So far, a razor blade and small screwdriver has been the best option, but after slicing my thumb last night... any ideas?

New Kid

Kid.

The lead piece that was in the original one knock spots was in the nose section, If yo place lead in the body of the rattletrap you will essential change the weighting of the lure and the action. Your best bet is to get some original one knockers and have them repainted to you exact specifications. I love those baits and have won quite a few Tournaments in the spring when everyone else is throwing a rattle trap or Japanese Trap

Thanks guys.

I have seen the Xcalibur Xr75 one-knocker. Their baits are excellent, but $10/each. As a student, I have more time than money so I'm trying to make them myself with stuff I have laying around. And I have loads of Rattletraps!

Blackjack,

The one I took apart had a large lead ball in the front and numerous smaller BBs in the midsection. I replaced the front lead ball to keep the weight up front. (I also flattened it slightly to give a different sound.) For the midsection, I planned to replace the BBs with a solid flattened piece of lead of the same weight so as to not alter the action too much.

I have two original one-knocker spots, but one needs repainted. Here's a tip I found on another site. The old Bayou Boogie crankbaits have a similar knocking sound. They're a smaller lipless at 1/3 ounce. I dug through some old boxes and found one. I'll have to try it this spring as well.

BTW, checked out your web site. Nice looking crankbaits!

Kid

You can also drill a small hole and superglue the BB's together. It won't affect the balance if you keep the bait in the swimming position while the glue dries. I have done these with some Yozuri Rattlin Vibes for using in highly pressured water. The glue will keep the BB's pegged.

Steve

Steve,

I had a similar idea, but didn't know if it would work, especially if the BBs were all glued to one side or the other. Doesn't that essentially make it a silent lure, or is there still a large knocker in the front section of the Zuri's.

Kid

• Like 1

I modified some rattle traps afew years ago based on an old one my friend had a huge luck streak with. The lure was old and the BB's had corroded together just like the idea with the super glue.( great idea BTW) I drilled a hole in the side and took all the BB's out (the ones in the old lure didn't move at all) filled the hole with epoxy, it worked just fine. I also stopped the big rattle in the head on a couple. i drilled a small hole beside the top BB and took a flat toothpick pushed it in beside the BB to wedge it so it wouldn't move, a little epoxy, and your done. you can change rattle combinations for various sounds or completely silence a trap this way with minimal effort and time. may not be any help, but who knows, maybe it will.

Jay

Yes, you are correct, with the Yozuri it becomes silent. If you do it make sure the bait is sitting up in the swimming position so the BB's are where they would be when the bait is working. The balance won't be affected. Interestinly, the original Cordell Spot was silent and Cotton Cordell claimed he caught more fish on the silent version, but the market demanded rattles. Sometime I think fish get so hammered by these baits that all the noise becomes a turn off, which is why I have ome silent ones. Even without the rattles the vibration is still there. The Sebile rattle trap like bait (don't know the name) is a silent bait (fluid filled) and it was super hot on Rayburn last year. The fish on Rayburn are bombarded with rattle traps from October to March. I always throw a different type vibration bait there (and elsewhere), because of this. Rick Clunn has always been a proponent of silent baits, which is why he likes wood baits. Essentailly no bait is silent since you get hook noise on all of them.

Steve

I too prefer the "silent baits". I fish a lot of small water and rattle traps of any kind seem to just scare the heck out of the fish. I see more fish running away from instead of running to the baits, which doesn't seem to be good when I'm trying to catch'em. :nuhuh: ( probably sounds like a bull dozer or freight train under water, I can even hear them through my aluminum boat) and like you said, the hooks and rings make quite a bit of noise themselves, especially with the action of the "trap" style baits. I'm definately gonna try the super glue. Great idea!!!

Jay

Sure appreciate all the suggestions and discussion. I'm thinking that the original idea of splitting the TRaps is just too difficult. I think I'll make up some fully silenced versions and a few with just the big front BB.

The superglue idea (or maybe Gorilla Glue) should work great by drilling a hole on top. I'm also wondering about a quick squirt of expanding foam. This might lock the BBs in place also, and fill the hole drilled on top at the same time. A little epoxy to seal and make a hard surface to paint.

I'll report back on results. May be a while before I get any on the water testing, though. We're all frozen up here in KS.