VMAXX

Automotive clear coat

Met a guy at work this week who is using clearcoat off car's to coat his bait's in place of epoxy the clear coat is in two part's like epoxy and looked really good on the bait's he was just dipping them and hanging them,my question is will this stuff hold up,anybody have any experience with it ??

Vmaxx

VMAXX,

Alot of the "old school" baitmakers use to use a product called Alpha - Cryl. It was a lacquer clear. However, it contained lead and the EPA banned it from sale a year or two ago. They use to dip the lures. It looks very good and it is pretty hard, but it was also very expensive. About 85 to 100 bucks a gallon. They would dip the lure without thinning the lacquer. It holds up fairly well, but it still won't take the rocks or any other type of really tough cover very well. The coating won't last as long as the brush on coats that we are using. But their feeling was, if you are out to make as much money as you can and kick out as much volume as you can muster, then Who Cares? The good stuff now requires hardners or they won't cure. Therefore, to dip you better be ready, set up, and fast. You will still waste alot of expensive stuff doing it this way. You will only have about 30 min of work time. After that then what is left will be unusable and harden into a 10 lb. hockey puck. I guess for some of you Yankees out there that wouldn't be such a bad thing. If you want to know more, send me a msg.

Skeeter