tc-lures

Test Tank

Looks like the circular tank is comming out on top. There are two proposals for driving it:-

A) centre mounted paddle.

B) edge mounted pump.

Both will do the job, equally efficiently from a power point of view. But the centre mounted does have a few disadvantages, minor, but worth considering.

1) More work involved. The paddles have to be constructed.

2) a beam will be required to mount a bearing at the top of the paddle spindle.

3) in operation, the paddles will disturb the water close to the test area.

The advantage of the centre mounted drive is that a wider selection of motors will be available, which will probably make for a cost saving. Also, with a top mounted motor, no sealing will be required, as the bottom bearing can be wet.

Disadvantages of the side mounted bilge pump is cost (no research done, just assumption).

Advantages are:-

1) simple construction.

2) the whole drive mechanism is self contained inside the pump housing.

3) sealing is simple, comprising a rubber gasket or sealing compound, to stop leakage.

4) the pump, located at the opposite end of the tank, has minimum possible effect on the test area.

Incidently, if the tank was 6 feet diameter and 18 inches deep. The volume of water will be 264 gallons (UK) or 1.2 metre cube. My tap (pretty low pressure) at 23 secs per gal, would take 100 minutes to fill.

This thread has been excellent. We have now arrived at a practical, workable solution. Compact, low cost and reasonably storeable in a workshop. I hope someone does build it.

VM – you did not mention another important advantage. – A #### (valve) on the delivery side of the pump can infinitely regulate the flow or circulation speed, simple, no rheostats or gearboxes.

12V bilge pumps cost from $16 for 500GPH (8.3 gal/min) to $52 for 1600GPH (26 gal/min). I’m still not going to build one though! Pete

Just PM'd VodkaMan about this, I have been working on this idea- 'Every Mans Test Tank', but it's still in my head and am just too lazy to try it out (fear of failure), don't hold your breath as I have about half a dozen other experiments around the shed, in various stages of failure. I like the kiddie pool and hose idea, very inexpensive - but we have pretty severe water restrictions here (drought), buckets only "No hand held hoses"???. pete