bizologist

Metal Forming - Arbor Press?

Has anyone had experience using an arbor press for metal forming of lips and other small metal parts? I thought making small dies and using an urethane pad might do the job, but I see that jewelry makers use multi-ton hydraulic presses. The right dies and you could eliminate many other tools. How big? Will it work? Limitations? Suggestions?

Thank you,

Harold Hoffmann

It will depend on the material, size and thickness. I have several pnuematic punch presses that I use to punch out crankbait lips. These are made of thin 1/16 or less poly or G-10(circuit board) if you are punching 1/8 stainless steel for example this would not be sufficient. An arbor press will punch out one lip at a time if you have the dies and the material is thin. BUT! It sure will make yor arm tired! I'm sure a small die set and punches could be made for less than 700$ If your looking for something specific I could run your parts for you if you supply the dies. Good Luck!

MAV

Mavrick is right, only thin steel can be done that way. I program sheetmetal parts, and we laser cut a lot of steel to any profile possible. Then it gets formed in our press brake dept. We cut and bend .018 all the way up to .250 thick. C.R.S, Stainless and Alum. If you are looking for something special see if Mavrick can help. if he can not then PM me.