madbass

shelf life of airbrush paint

9 posts in this topic

Keep the cap snapped shut, shake it up once in a while if you're not spraying it and it'll last years. I don't know how long ago they changed the labels, but I have a lot of the old labeled bottles that are fine.

Mine sits in the garage subject to whatever temps. Old paint tends to separate and develop clumps, especially in a partial bottle. Fresh is definitely better but I use it until it clogs my Iwata....then use it in my Badger :) If that starts shooting wads of paint, I toss it. Waste not, want not.

To some extent yes but partial bottles still develop clumps eventually. I think the film of paint around the top and the sides not covered by the wet paint dries out. Shaking breaks off bits that attract paint and form clumps. It's not as big a problem with Createx as with some other brands. When I notice a clog developing while airbrushing, a quick shot of paint at full throttle will usually clear it out before it becomes a problem.

Store them in a box, mounted to the front door on springs. Every time someone comes in or out, they get a little agitated. It works on the wife too, every time she opens the door and sees the box, she gets a little agitated.

It sounds silly, but if paint is allowed to stand, it will clump. If it is stored in a place that gets movement several times a day, it will stay lump free. Just have to think of a practical way to implement.