clamboni

swimbait in progress

I think that looks fantastic. Is that with the hooks or without? I much prefer those types that have less head and more tail movement.

TJ

Hooks are on in that video. It's at a pretty fast speed, just to keep it up top without holding the line straight above it. A little faster is when it starts to roll. It doesn't spin, just goes up on one side once it's at the surface. Gonna go do more watching of it.....enough talk about making stuff, I'm going fishing.

Clamboni, I have been tinkering with a swimbait very similar to yours (yes, a copy of a tt). I have made 3 "prototypes" with each weighted differently. Mine are three segments. On one of them I had weight in all three segments and it did not swim at all like I wanted. Another had the same weight, but weight was in head and tail segments. Figured the weight in mid section was dampening the action. Drilled out weight in mid section, and action improved greatly. Just my $.02. BTW I like your lexan tail.

David

Clamboni, I have been tinkering with a swimbait very similar to yours (yes, a copy of a tt). I have made 3 "prototypes" with each weighted differently. Mine are three segments. On one of them I had weight in all three segments and it did not swim at all like I wanted. Another had the same weight, but weight was in head and tail segments. Figured the weight in mid section was dampening the action. Drilled out weight in mid section, and action improved greatly. Just my $.02. BTW I like your lexan tail.

David

Thanks....I'm actually pretty happy with the action. I'd rather have it with not so much head movement. I figured I wouldn't need any weight in the tail section because of where it is in the head. There's plenty of unweighted wood in the front of the bait so I left the tail unweighted. I was also concerned that too much tail weight would kill the tail.

I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure I want to try to remove weight. I have a few friends that are big on throwing big swimbaits. I'm, going to have one or two of them mess around with it and see what they have to say before I mess around with it. Besides, it only rolls over at high speed retrieves. Higher than I'd ever reel it most likely.