DeHeron

Thinking About Weight

:? I have ben fooling around with square bills and fat wobblers. Upon scouring the internet looking at designs I came across the Megabass Z Crank; blue label and red label. After some e-mails to Japan I was told that the blue label was balsa and the red label was probably cedar. The size and weights on the finished cranks are the same. I have never made baits that were not balsa but I know the cedar has to be heavier. So the ballast is lighter in the cedar bait. I am concluding that I can take a balsa bait and duplicate it in cedar by subtracting the additional weight of the cedar from the original ballast,and achieve similiar results. What do you think?

Heavier..less bouyant cedar takes less weight to stabilize. Lighter..more bouyant balsa takes more weight to stabilize. Where does a plastic bait fit in this weight,bouyancy thing?

You are correct about the ballast and the amount needed to make the bait function.

My thoughts on how these different mediums that baits are made of will result in different out comes...

All things are alike (Exact same weight, and exact same dimensions) except the product the bait is made of.

A Plastic Bait will have most of its weight distributed around the out side of the bait and this will hinder the action.

The Cedar Bait will have its weight more evenly distributed through out the bait, and this will free up the action a little more than the Plastic Bait.

The Balsa Bait will have the weight more centered in the bait, and allow it to have the most possible action as long as it is not over weighted with sealer, paint and excessive topcoats.

These diagrams will help explain how baits made of different mediums can have more or less action depending on were the weight is located. Imagine this man holding (2) 10 lb. weights and trying to rotate to the left and then change directions and rotate to the right. The man holding the weights near the center of his body will be able to change directions a lot faster and with less effort than the man holding the weights on out reached arms. This is the same way a Balsa Crankbait with its weight more centered can change directions faster and more often than baits made of other woods or plastics.

cs3.gifcs4.gif

--------------Plastic Bait----------------------------------Balsa Bait------------------

Great analogy, PB!

Balsa lets the maker to play around more with the amount and distribution of ballast, especially reducing ballast to make the bait more lively while maintaining an upright attitude. As a rough index, the standard density of white cedar is 20 lbs/cu ft while balsa is 11.2 lbs/cu ft. For specific pieces of wood, cell structure and moisture content can vary considerably though. The bouyancy of a plastic bait depends on its interior air volume and the thickness/type of plastic. I personally feel that wood baits up to and including basswood at 23 lbs/cu ft tend to have livelier actions than identical plastic baits.