pommy

Jewfish lures

Greetings all from Australia.

I'm completely new to lure making but would like to make some wooden bodied shallow diving lures. The lures will be between 15 and 20 cm long and will be used to fish for jewfish.

I think I understand the basics of lure making but cannot locate any profiles to draw onto the wooden blanks I'm preparing. I would like to start off with some rapala and rebel style lures.

Can anyone help?

Best regards, Rob.

Ballina NSW

Welcome to TackleUnderground.

This if a little bit funny to me::lol:

Goliath grouper

The Goliath Grouper or itajara (Epinephelus itajara) is a large saltwater fish of the grouper family. It was formerly known as the Jewish; however, in 2001 the American Fisheries Society made the decision to change the name to the less objectionable "Goliath Grouper".[1]

250px-Gordon_-_Goliath_grouper.jpg

Sorry to get off topic, and that I didn't answer your question, but I am sure one of the great TU members will send you in the right direction.

Welcome to Tackle Underground the center of the Tackle Junkie universe. You'll have to excuse some of us... I may walking a thin line right now because I haven't had me morning "medication" yet. To early to start drinking in the states.

I think you'll be in good company. Pete (aka: Hazmial) is also from down-under and, in my humble opinion, is one of the most gifted hardbait artists on the site. He's on holiday til after Christmas, but run a fer searches using Hazmail, and you will see what a treasure of knowledge he is. For that matter, I think you will find a vast knowleddge base to draw from.

I tend to be better suited to bending wire and tying hair and feathers, but I am trying to expand my skills with several ideas for the new year.

Welcome aboard,

I saw one of those while snorkeling, nearly choked!

Welcome to TU, Pommy.

The following thread was posted by Peter Yake and should get you started.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9131&highlight=profile

I know someone posted a profile in the form of a diagram, in the last few months, but I could not find it.

At the end of the day, you cannot go far wrong with natures shapes.

look at your tackle box or local bait shop for inspiration. Don't try and make a copy of an existing lure instead make you're own version of it. Go wider, longer, thicker or even combine features that you like from multiple baits.

Bruce although you hide behind the cheesehead avatar you must truly be a F.I.B. A real Cheesehead knows you can't drink all day if you don't start when you wake up!

:eek: Man Cheesehead, that was harsh. I didn't see you at the game sunday laughing at the rams when Bret and the Boys where in town. :nuhuh: How many Packer shares have your name on 'em.;) Were you in Green Bay for the shareholder's vote last Aug?:whistle:

I get that F.I.B. :censored: every :censored: year from friends and family, do I really have to take it from you too...:nuhuh:

Now, if the ice is thick enough by you, lets head to the lake and have a cold cold one, otherwise, up by Tomahawk, they already have over 8 inches on some of the lakes back home.:tipsy: Can't we just get along, little buddy?

Pommy,

What depth will your lures need to be fished?

Will you be casting them or trolling with them?

What size Jewfish are you fishing for? 10lb. or 120lb.?

What size line are you using?

After reading a little more about Jewfish, I realize that about 8-10 different types of fish are refered to as Jewfish. What type are you fishing for? (Weststralian dhufish) If that is it, where do they live and what food do they eat?

For our international friends:

F.I.B is an acronym for: Friendly, Illinois, Brother

There is another description commonly associated with this acronym also. The first letter and state name remain the same let me try to delicatly say it here.

F = another common term for intercourse:wink:

I = Illinois

B = illegitamate child

We're called cheeseheads because Wisconsin is the Nations top Producer of Cheese.

Scony = nickname for a "Wisconsinite" or person from Wisconsin.

Cheese curd Squeekers, Fresh from the vat cheesecurds squeek when you eat them.

De leinies = http://www.leinie.com/av.html

Bruce, my jeers are all in fun:mad: , That being said a FIB by choice is the worst kind:lol:

I'm not sure if there is enough ice here yet or not but I hope to find out soon. :yeah:

For our international friends:

F.I.B is an acronym for: Friendly, Illinois, Brother

There is another description commonly associated with this acronym also. The first letter and state name remain the same let me try to delicatly say it here.

F = another common term for intercourse:wink:

I = Illinois

B = illegitamate child

We're called cheeseheads because Wisconsin is the Nations top Producer of Cheese.

Scony = nickname for a "Wisconsinite" or person from Wisconsin.

Cheese curd Squeekers, Fresh from the vat cheesecurds squeek when you eat them.

De leinies = http://www.leinie.com/av.html

Bruce, my jeers are all in fun:mad: , That being said a FIB by choice is the worst kind:lol:

I'm not sure if there is enough ice here yet or not but I hope to find out soon. :yeah:

O'ta den, by golly, Let's play nice or I'll plaster the da back of ye'r pickin'up truck wit 'den der 'bears' stickers (lol).

Several reasons for staying down here:

1. Extented access to US TRANSCOM, HQ AMC, and Scott AFB - since 1985 in some capacity or another.

2. Met Wife (Ver. 2.0) after I got done with "the wicked witch of the north."

3. At least I always know the perfect place to go for vacation... you can't leave the state Ha, ha, ha...

4. A quick stop in Stevens Point for some Point Classic Amber handcrafted amber-style lager and a brewery tour http://www.pointbeer.com/. So Dat new place (De leinies) is still in business, by golly...

Jewfish (Mulloway) are a much sought after surf fish here. I have only caught one about 8-10lb, and that was an accident. I have never intentionally fished for them, as it is pretty specialized (can weigh up to 80Kg or about 150lb) you need to be single (out all night) and have the patience of a rabbit trap. I have seen pictures of a fish they catch up around New York (I think) which looks a lot like them. I know feathers (with a hook) are a popular lure down around Tathra (south coast) under the bridge.

See here - http://www.tackleworld.com.au/Fishing%20Tips/Mulloway.html

Pete.